3

Welcome 1st Years

The rest of the week had been a whirlwind of preparations for the incoming first years. After your breakfast with the deans, you'd barely seen them, outside of casually passing by them in the hallways. And after warming up to the duo, you missed the deans' presence. But they were busy, so to temporarily ease the ache you felt, you made yourself busy. You spent most of your days in your room; reading and working on your lesson plans, only leaving for a few minutes each day to eat your meals.

The morning of the first years' arrival couldn't have come at a worse time. You'd woken up much later than usual, with a terrible headache, most likely due to the four glasses of wine you downed while reading last night. Luckily, your presence wasn't needed until the welcoming ceremony/orientation.

You'd taken your time getting ready. Not only was it your official first day as a teacher, but it was also the first time you'd be seeing both deans for more than a few seconds. After washing the stench of alcohol off your skin, you started picking an outfit. You already had an idea of what you wanted to wear for the most part. You'd taken inspiration from Lesso's wardrobe and decided to wear a white blouse tucked neatly into a dark grey pinstripe skirt with a matching blazer that you kept in your hand. The highlight of the outfit might've been the black stiletto heels you forced yourself to wear. Combing your hair was a quick affair, you pulled everything up into a high ponytail and left the ends to fall in loose curls.

You glanced at yourself in the mirror one last time before leaving your room.

You still had fifteen minutes before the welcoming ceremony in the hall, so you went to the canteen for a quick breakfast.

You'd somehow managed to lose track of time as you ate your oatmeal. You were officially late.

The welcoming ceremony had already started when you walked in. Normally, you were one to shy away from causing a scene but your unceremonious entrance into the hall had all eyes on you. Clarissa had stopped mid-word when she saw you. Her eyes had scanned your body several times before she coughed and continued her speech. Leonora on the other hand had yet to stop staring at you. Even as you sat amongst the other Ever teachers you felt her eyes on you. And that was the exact reaction you'd hoped for when you picked your outfit.

It was hard to pay attention at first, you'd heard the same speech from your dean all those years ago. But somehow Dovey kept your attention; her voice was the perfect tone throughout, her mannerisms were perfect, she was perfect. She kept you engaged, a feat not many could accomplish. Yet, she managed to successfully keep your attention for the entire hour-long speech.

"And I wish you all a good first semester at the School for Good and Evil." She ended her speech.

Students and teachers alike exited the hall. Soon it was only you three left in the auditorium; the two deans stood whispering on the stage, eyes trained on you as they spoke in hushed tones and you remained in your seat, watching them watch you.

The women stopped talking. Leonora made the first move, detaching herself from Clarissa's side and taking a step in your direction. Clarissa was quick to follow the redhead. You remained in your seat, watching the dean of evil and the dean of good walk over to you.

"Y/n," the women said when they stood in front of you.

Having them both stand over you did something to you; your head was light, your hands shaky and everything seemed to be slowing down and speeding up, at the same time.

"Y/n/n," Dovey called out when you didn't greet either of the deans, her hand reaching out to hold your shoulder.

You attempted an apology but the word got stuck on your tongue. The single syllable was almost unrecognizable after your botching.

"Y/n, is everything okay?" The redhead asked.

You couldn't answer; you couldn't tell them that their presence made your stomach tighten, made your head all airy and light, made your world stand still. You couldn't tell them what you couldn't understand. So, you did the next best thing.

You inhaled, grounded yourself, and lied," I'm okay." It wasn't strong but it was believable enough for the deans to drop the topic.

"Promise me," Lesso started," if something was the matter, you'd come to one of us first." You knew exactly what she was doing, and you greatly appreciated it. 

"I promise." You assured them.

There was a moment as you locked eyes with the blonde that you thought she'd known exactly what your problem was, that she'd somehow read your mind and found out exactly what plagued you. But she flashed her award-winning smile and your worries slipped away.

"I have hardly seen you these last few days, are you ready for class to start tomorrow?" Dovey asked.

"Yes," you had worked hard on your lesson plan over the last few days. Hours and hours spent researching and compiling pages upon pages of notes on the topics you wished to discuss with your students. You may not have been sure of much in life, but you were a hundred percent sure that you were prepared for classes to start tomorrow.

///

A/N

Chapter three, sign, sealed, and delivered.

A bit on the short side, but in the upcoming chapters the story finally starts to get juicy. I hope you enjoyed the read.

All mistakes are my own.

If you've enjoyed this chapter a vote would be lovely. Have a good day/night <3

Aurea