𝟐𝟐 | 𝐋𝐎𝐓𝐓𝐄

— 𝒞 —

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐑 𝐖𝐀𝐒 crowded, hot, and noisy. The smell of tobacco and alcohol lingered in every corner of the dimly lit room, making Charlie's nose crinkle when the smell of beer mixed in as she lifted her glass to her reddened lips.

After taking a sip, she let the beer cool her mouth for a second before swallowing it. As much as she wasn't a fan of beer, she had to admit it was refreshing, especially after a long day at the office. She placed the glass on the small, square table that she, JJ, Garcia, and Emily were seated around, making sure to avoid the peanut shells that had fallen out of the bowl.

"Where'd the other two escape to?" muttered JJ as she craned her neck, scanning over the room.

"Spencer is currently geeking out with a couple of strangers, and Morgan . . ." Charlie furrowed her eyebrows, then joined JJ in looking around. "I don't know where he went."

"He went to the bathroom," Garcia chimed in as she cracked one of the peanut shells and picked out the nut. "But that was fifteen minutes ago."

"Oh," murmured Emily, taking a sip of her beer, "so he's dead."

Charlie suddenly caught sight of Morgan, who was at the back of the bar. He had an arm leaning against the wall, his usual grin in play as he talked—flirted—with a woman, who seemed to be responding quite well as she giggled and twirled a strand of her blonde hair.

Charlie giggled before nodding her head toward the pair. "Mm, I wouldn't say dead."

The other three turned their heads toward where Charlie had nodded towards.

"Wow," Garcia scoffed, though her lips were twisted into a grin. "Doesn't he know I'm right here?"

Charlie took a long sip of her beer, though she nearly choked on it when JJ asked:

"On the topic of love: Charlie, how's George?"

"Yeah," whined Garcia, "and why haven't we met him yet?"

Charlie swallowed her drink, coughing slightly. 'George' was the name of the fake boyfriend she had made up when she had slipped up and said she had a date—luckily, she never mentioned with who. She silently reminded herself to break up with him soon.

Once she had recovered, she plastered on her best smile and answered, "He's good. And you haven't met him because he's busy."

Emily quirked an eyebrow. "What's his job?"

"Um . . ." Charlie pursed her lips before deciding, "Teacher."

JJ shrugged. "That's a pretty busy job."

"Mhm, anyway" —Charlie cleared her throat— "how are your love lives going?"

JJ wrinkled her nose. "Not well."

Emily only took a deep sip of her beer, her eyebrows raised.

"My computer and I have a healthy relationship," Garcia sighed. "Other than that, nada."

"I'm not really complaining," sighed Emily as soon as she had swallowed. "It's not like I have the time to see anyone, anyway."

"You can't live the rest of your life like that," laughed JJ as she grabbed one of the peanuts. 

"You're telling me."

"Hey, y'all," greeted Morgan as he walked up to them, grabbing a chair from a nearby empty table and squeezing it between Charlie and JJ. "You guys havin' fun?"

"Not as much as you," giggled Charlie, noting his unusually lit eyes and wider smile. "Did you get her number?"

Morgan grinned before holding up a napkin for them to see, and a phone number was scribbled onto the middle.