Prologue

Five Years Ago

Lyst pulled into her driveway after what was a fruitful lesson of advanced driving taught by her dad. She had just gotten her driving licence the week before, and immediately her father started teaching her car control, powersliding, and all those driving techniques that professionals use. After all, she is the daughter of the most dominant street racer in the city, so she had to learn.

As they entered the house, her dad ordered, "Lyst, go take a shower and sleep. Get ready for school tomorrow will you? Your mom and I have some business to attend to tonight."

"Alright dad," Lyst responded with a satisfied smile. She lightly pecked her father on the cheek. "Love you, goodnight."

As Lyst sauntered into the shower, her father stood outside, eyes closed. The facade of a fearless man he put up in front of his daughter melted away in an instant. He blew out a shaky breath, and a tear fell from his cheek, which he wiped off. He turned to her wife who approached him, carrying two bags. "Ready to go?" she asked. He smiled sadly and nodded, looking one last time at their home before they hit the road.

***

The next morning, Lyst was awakened by the sound of someone knocking on her front door. To her shock, she opened it to find two policemen in front of her. A drop of sweat formed on her forehead. What do they want? Are my parents in trouble? Am I in trouble? Questions emerged and floated in her mind, and she panicked a little. But, if there was anything that she knew about the police, it was that they were not her friend, especially when she herself was involved in the underground street racing world.

On the outside, Lyst's expression was unreadable. She took a glance at the name tags of the two officers before meeting their eyes. "How may I help you, Officer Taylor and Officer Morrison?"

The two policemen looked at each other. Officer Taylor was the one who broke the silence. "It's about your parents." He paused for a second and swallowed hard, as if there was a lump in his throat that was stopping him from saying what he was about to say.

"They were involved in a horrifying car accident. I'm afraid to break it to you that they did not make it out alive."

Lyst blinked. For a second, she couldn't process the words. Her thoughts stumbled over one another, like a massive car pileup on the highway. And then it hit her.

Oh gosh... No, no...

It was as if the whole world came crashing down onto her. The people who took care of her, supported her, made her who she was...

They're gone...

As much as Lyst wanted to hide as much from the police as possible, she could practically hear a 'crack' from her barriers breaking down. A wave of emotions hit Lyst like a battering ram. She wasn't sure if it was shock, grief or what, but she stood there, unable to utter a single word. And despite her best attempts to hold them back, tears began to flow down her face, like rivers flowing towards the sea. She retreated back into her house, curled up in a ball, resting against the sofa. Her long auburn hair covered her face, like a messy curtain, but it gave her an illusion of being alone. She needed to be alone. She needed space. 

"I'm sorry, young lady," Officer Morrison consoled. He gave her a look that she thought looked like sympathy, though since her hair was blocking the view, it was hard to tell exactly. "We'll give you some privacy."

But before the officers left, they handed her some paperwork and instructed her to read through them.

After the officers were gone, Lyst briefly skimmed through all the paperwork. They included the details of her parents' deaths, some of the procedures for their funerals, and the list of things she would and wouldn't inherit from her parents. She was in no mood to read everything in detail, at least not in the emotional state that she was in. But there was one thing that caught her eye.

"They left me the car..." she realised. She stood up and approached the front window. On the other side was the car that she drove home the day before, the car that so many fond memories were created in. It was a lavender purple BMW E46 from 2004, and it was hers from now on.

For some reason, Lyst had the inclination to touch the car, sit in it, start it up. And she let the urge control her. She held the keys of the car tightly in her palms as she approached it. Plopping down into the drivers' seat, she started the ignition. All 6 cylinders in the engine started firing in perfect harmony, perfect balance. The scent, the sound, the familiarity of the car shook her suddenly broken soul.

At that moment, she felt pain that she had never experienced in her entire life. But deep down, she knew what her parents expected of her. She knew the endeavour she wanted to pursue.

"My name is Alystabella Cassidy," she muttered silently to herself.

"And from today onwards, you'll be my car, Obsidian."

Hello fellow readers!

After many months of inactivity, I have finally returned with another story (Yay). So just a heads up, this story will be updated every Saturday and Wednesday!

As a writer, it is best if I could encourage interaction between you and me, so for every chapter, I'll put some questions, so feel free to answer them :)

1. What's your name? (so I can say hi)

2. Have you read one of my other books before? If so, which one?

3. Do you happen to follow any racing series? (F1? DTM? Indycar?)

Let's move on to chapter 1!