Chapter 11

After practice, came qualifying. Very early on, the team sent Lyst out to avoid her from crowding with the other cars, and potentially ruining her flying laps around Brands Hatch. After just one warm up lap, Lyst felt she was ready to push the car to its limits.

Just like what she did in practice, Lyst had to pay attention to all her lines, gearshifts, and anything that she felt from the car beneath her. But unlike practice, the stakes of qualifying were high, and Lyst couldn't afford any mishaps, otherwise the consequences would be dire.

Carefully, Lyst darted her way around the track, down the hills and round the bends. She nailed every corner with precision, but was mindful of any bumps and slippery surfaces, which she avoided. In just a blink of an eye, her first flying lap was complete.

R: That was a 1:22.943. You've put yourself in fourth place.

L: Fourth? Am I that quick?

R: Nope. So far, there are only four cars that have completed their laps.

Lyst scoffed. She couldn't believe Rick toyed with her, but she shrugged it off. During the cooldown lap, she mentally analysed her first flying lap. She asked herself about what worked for her, and where some areas of improvement might be. She created notes in her mind, indicating what she should do during her next run, which was quickly approaching her in a few corners' time.

Lyst's mind switched back into full focus when she rounded the Clark Curve the following lap. It was time to start her second fast lap.

***

R: 1:22.036. Good job, Lyst. You jumped from sixteenth to tenth.

L: That one felt good, but I can do better.

R: Okay. But note that you have enough fuel for two more laps. After that, you'll have to come back to refuel.

L: Sure thing.

Lyst made full use of her limited fuel load, improving her own lap times by chunks. Her first lap was a 1:21.504, and her second one was a 1:20.980. The latter landed her in a comfortable fourth place. When Rick broke the good news to her, she was ecstatic.

L: Oh my god! I can't believe it! I am the master of Brands Hatch, hahaha...

R: Yes you are, Lyst. Come in now, please. You'll still have time for a few more laps to improve.

L: Okay, okay.

Lyst cruised back to the garage to face a team of smiling faces. Among them was Ashley, who clapped her hands in excitement as she saw Lyst. Lyst gave her a thumbs up in return.

It wasn't just the Powers team who were happy with Lyst's result. Spectators and other team personnel who were scattered around the track were pleasantly surprised by this new driver too. They watched the timing screens and the replays of Lyst's driving in amusement.

Meanwhile, a mechanic from the Mercury Racing Team was adjusting a few components from the car of Ember Williams. "She's impressive, the new girl," he spoke.

Ember smiled. "Indeed."

***

R: Last 10 minutes of qualifying. Make the best out of the time you have.

L: Yes, Rick.

The mechanic in front of her made a gesture to Lyst, and she drove out of the garage and onto the pit lane, hearing the tyres squeak on the shiny cement behind her. Based on her calculations, with 10 minutes, she could complete 2 flying laps if no one were to give her trouble... or rather if she could manage to stay out of trouble herself.