Chapter 32

Four Months Later

Driving to Brands Hatch brought back so many memories and so much nostalgia. Racing a Formula 3 car around this track at the start of last year, it marked her end as a street racer and her beginning as a professional racing driver. Two years ago, she would've never imagined coming to Brands Hatch to race. Likewise, a year ago, she would've never imagined coming to Brands Hatch again today, not as an F3 driver but as a newly appointed chairperson of her own club.

She turned to meet the little passenger princess in her car and offered a smile. "We're almost there, Bree."

The youth didn't even bother hiding her excitement. "I still can't believe I'm here with you, Lyst."

"It's nothing, really." Lyst chuckled. "If your mom's fine with it, I'm fine with it too. And besides, I'm just doing what I love and what I root for."

It wasn't long before the both of them arrived at their destination. Well, the parking lot, at least. Lyst was surprised to find it almost filled with cars, some of them familiar, others not so much. Most of them were modified, however, making the usually dull atmosphere of a parking lot bursting with personality. Mingling among the cars were their drivers. Smiles and happy expressions could be seen all around. Laughter and excited murmurs filled the air.

But when these people noticed a dark purple BMW pulling up, the laughs and murmurs halted, replaced by cheers and the thunderous sound of applause. Lyst felt extremely flattered. She hadn't received so much attention since her street racing days, and she definitely wasn't used to it yet. As weird as they were, she welcomed the sensations nonetheless. Bree, however, was simply overwhelmed with emotion. Her grin was as wide as the sky, and her fingers were fidgeting with each other uncontrollably.

"This is amazing!" she exclaimed.

"I agree," responded Lyst. "Now come, let's park and head to the track, shall we?"

Finding an empty parking space, Lyst slotted Obsidian in and stepped out of the car. The breeze she felt was chilly, but no longer cold as spring slowly but surely arrived.

It was going to be a good day, she told herself as she scanned the place. And a good year too, by the looks of things.

She couldn't deny her work over the past few months had paid off. She recalled the night she met Ashley, Lindsay and her dad in her house; her promise to revive the street racing scene. She reminded herself of the countless sleepless nights planning how to do exactly that.

A year of being away from street racing had changed her. Being an actual racing driver, she now had unique experiences no one else had. She now understood, and advocated the need for street races to be held safely and legally. It was a giant headache for her to figure everything out, but she vividly remembered the eureka moment everything clicked.

It was Ashley who pointed out the idea to her. "Why not rent the track for a whole day and let them race?"

It sounded like such a simple thing to say, but it made so much sense. Renting a track for a day allowed the whole community to let their cars loose on track. The issue of getting caught by the police was almost nonexistent, and the consequences of an accident would be a lot less dire. Granted, the cost of renting a track was dear, but Lyst could very well handle it herself. Besides, with the sheer number of people attending the new 'street' races, they would only have to pay a small fee, and she would already have enough for the rental fees.

And oh boy were they willing to pay.

Turns out the love for street racing never died down. Many were willing to sacrifice a little if it meant they could still pursue their passions. And Lyst was eternally grateful to the community for all the support she received in the process of reviving the street racing scene.