3. Jeongguk

"Coach? What should I do now?"

Jeongguk blinked and looked at the girl he was supposed to train. Her name was Riho, she spoke with a cute Japanese accent and Jeongguk really liked her because she had a wicked sense of humor, and sessions with her were always fun. Usually.

But this time, he was incapable of concentrating on her for more than two minutes straight; then his mind came back to the one thing that had been constantly haunting him for the past three days, since he'd met Jimin and his friends at the Bulletproof Bar: Kim Taehyung.

Up until now, Jeongguk thought that he had been pretty successful at moving on and erasing from his mind the memories of the brief but intense relationship he had had with Taehyung, and especially the shitty way it ended. Granted, it wasn't easy, it took some time, months, years even, but he really used to believe it was behind him. He had a cool job, a wonderful group of close friends, a boyfriend he wasn't quite in love with yet but still liked well enough for them to maybe become something great in the future, and he was happy, all things considered.

It turned out Taehyung wasn't as far behind him as he thought he was.

"Sorry, Riho. Let's move on to the next exercise."

Riho wasn't a special case; all his students this week had had to put up with his distraction, and he was furious with himself for being unable to act like a professional, just because a ghost from his past had suddenly emerged before his very eyes.

So what did it matter if Taehyung was Jimin's friend? They belonged to two distinct groups, and surely they wouldn't merge very often, or at least, he hoped not. Because if he had to withstand Taehyung's presence on the regular... there would be some kind of adjustment to make.

At least, people around him didn't suspect anything. True, when that dreadful evening had finally ended, he'd let out a sigh of relief and realized afterward that Yoongi had heard him, looking at him askance. But he'd visibly chalked it up to Jeongguk being his usual shy and antisocial self and didn't comment on it.

So, yeah. That had been a shitty night, and it was a shitty situation, but it was over now and he'd never see Taehyung again and life could resume the way it was before. So why was this encounter sticking in his mind like gum on the sidewalk?

When his work day was finally over, after taking a shower in the employee locker room, he saw a text had arrived from Yoongi.

Feel like drinking tonight? I know you're not working tomorrow morning.

In fact, Jeongguk very much needed a drink right now, but before everything, he had to make sure that no one (and especially not a certain someone) from Jimin's clan was invited. He needed peace and quiet with his friends.

Who's coming?

Just you and me for now. Maybe Seokjin later. Hoseok won't be free before Saturday. I'm already at the bar.

Ok, I'll be there in twenty.

What he expected, going in, was having a nice evening to drink and relax with one of his best friends, and maybe letting go of the thoughts that had been plaguing his mind non-stop for the past few days.

What he didn't expect was Yoongi almost on the warpath, on his back as soon as he sat down opposite him at their usual table, dead set on making him explain what the fuck had his problem been on Saturday.

"W-what do you mean?" Jeongguk stuttered, his heart suddenly racing in his chest. True, he hadn't been entirely able to hide how much he despised Taehyung, but Yoongi was looking so enamored with Jimin that night that Jeongguk hadn't thought he'd noticed.