13. Jeongguk

Try, Jeongguk thought, was the important word here. He was going to, because he promised Yoongi he would, but he wanted to do it on his terms, the first one of which was that he had to be ready.

And he was definitely not ready to see Taehyung the following Tuesday at their usual training session, which was why he called in sick, feeling a bit guilty about the other patrons he was ditching, but mostly relieved that he didn't have to face Taehyung.

The whole plan completely capsized when Taehyung, the one and only, showed up at his door that very evening.

It went like this: Jeongguk was listlessly watching a TV show on his computer, lying in bed, when he heard three knocks at the door. Since his friends had taken to showing up unannounced lately, Jeongguk sighed and got up, wondering who it would be between Seokjin or Hoseok. Yoongi was a bit more unlikely - he'd probably have texted before.

So it was a bit of a nasty shock when, after unlocking and opening the door, he discovered Taehyung standing there in the hallway, looking incredibly awkward, fidgety and anxious, holding in his arms the coat Jeongguk had forgotten at his place.

Jeongguk was so flabbergasted that he didn't even think about slamming the door in his face.

"Hi," Taehyung breathed, squeezing the coat sleeve between his hands in nervosity. "Sorry to ambush you like that. Wasn't sure you'd buzz me in, so I had to wait for someone to let me in the building. I, uh, I'd really like it if we could talk..."

Jeongguk kept staring at him, mind blank. Watching Taehyung in front of him made him remember what had happened Saturday night, and it was hard to follow a conversation, even a simple one, when all he could think about was the sensation of Taehyung's lips against his.

A memory he had been constantly trying to suppress for the past three days.

Taehyung, probably taking his lack of reaction as a rejection, started to beg. "Please, Jeongguk, just... Can we just talk for a bit?"

Out of nowhere, Jeongguk suddenly remembered Yoongi, two days before, asking him to try. "Okay," he replied awkwardly. "Come in."

He stepped aside to let him in, and Taehyung, looking as surprised as Jeongguk by his reaction, stared at him for a few seconds before hurrying inside, obviously not wanting to blow his chance. When Jeongguk closed the door behind him, he already had a feeling that this would go terribly wrong.

His apartment wasn't much, and he couldn't say he really felt at home in it, but seeing Taehyung standing in the middle of it still felt like an intrusion of the worst kind - he couldn't help but feel that Taehyung was judging him.

But when Taehyung looked up at him, Jeongguk had to admit he looked grateful rather than judgmental.

"Thanks for letting me in," Taehyung said quietly. "I know that you're mad at me and that I'm invading your home and your privacy. I'm sorry."

"If you know that, why are you still here?"

Taehyung looked a bit hurt at that, and Jeongguk couldn't tell if that felt good or bad. A bit of both, probably.

"I'm here because I was hoping to catch you at the gym today and have a little explanation, but you weren't there, so I had to come."

"Didn't it cross your mind that the fact that I canceled the session meant that I didn't want to see you?"

"Yeah," Taehyung sighed, "but then you never want to see me, so..."

Touché. This time, looking at his dejected expression, Jeongguk felt a bit guilty - although not enough to overpower the anger.