6. Jeongguk

Jeongguk was fuming.

First, he was probably going to have to kill Park Jimin, who obviously felt that it was okay to give his phone number to whomever asked for it.

Secondly, he was also going to have to kill Kim Taehyung, who had been literally pestering him since he got hold of said phone number, sending useless messages like, could we talk? or, we should talk about this, or at least let me apologize properly, to which he had of course never replied, since, what the fuck.

Third and lastly, when Kim Taehyung would be dead, he was going to bring him back to life just so he could kill him again.

"This is a joke, right?" Jeongguk looked up from his phone, where his appointments for the week had been added by BamBam, his coworker, who worked at the reception desk of the gym and was in charge of organizing schedules for all coaches.

"What?" BamBam replied from behind the counter, a bit disconcerted in the face of Jeongguk's wrath. "Something wrong with the schedule?"

"Not with the schedule. The client. That client," Jeongguk added, furiously tapping at his phone with his finger. "Why the fuck did you add him to my schedule without even running it by me first? Aren't I supposed to approve every newcomer before you add them?"

"Who are you talking about? Oh, that guy, Kim Taehyung? Yeah, you did approve him, though."

"I think I would remember that!!"

"You don't? I sent you a message three days ago."

To prove his point, BamBam scrolled on his phone to find the message and extended his hand to show it to Jeongguk, who squinted to decipher it. It read, newcomer asking for you specifically, pending approval. Please confirm asap.

And Jeongguk's answer was unequivocal: sure, add him in. He remembered it, now. He hadn't even checked the name. A new client was such a regular occurrence that Jeongguk didn't even bother to check anymore. As long as it fit in his schedule, he didn't care. Clients were clients.

Well. Not always, it turned out.

"Shit," he groaned, before repeatedly banging his head on the counter, to BamBam's growing alarm.

"Man, what the fuck?"

"Can't you dump him with someone else? Please, BamBam. I'll do everything you want. I'm serious." Jeongguk was not above begging, especially in a situation like this. It was hard enough as it was, knowing that there was only one degree of separation between him and Taehyung as of recently; and now, he had to train him? Taehyung had signed up for personal training? With him?

In retrospect, it probably was because Jeongguk had continuously ignored his texts. Boy, did he regret that now.

BamBam eyed him curiously. "Sorry, man, no can do. Everyone else is packed too. If a slot frees up though, I'll try and move him. But his appointment's tomorrow, so I wouldn't hold much hope."

"Great," Jeongguk groaned. Sometimes, his life spectacularly sucked.

For a moment, that night, when he got home after his shift, he thought about sending a message to Taehyung, asking what is it exactly that you don't understand in the sentence "I don't want to talk to you ever again?". But then Taehyung would reply, and that would lead to a conversation, and Jeongguk wasn't ready to have a chat with him.

Hell, he wasn't even ready to just think about him, but his mind was still working on it at full capacity, replaying every encounter, every glance from Taehyung, and especially that moment, the week before, when he'd cornered him in the hallway after he went to the toilet and grabbed his wrist.

Jeongguk didn't want to think about it. Seven years had gone by without any news from Taehyung, without even an apology, and now he thought he could do whatever he wanted? The worst part, the thing Jeongguk hated himself the most for, was that he had been unable to stop his heart from painfully thumping in his chest when Taehyung had grabbed him.

Something had washed over him, and it wasn't just hatred, it wasn't just resentment. It was longing. He still longed for Taehyung, and wasn't that the most ridiculous thought ever? How could he still long for him, after seven years?

That was what Jeongguk was fuming about the most.

When his phone buzzed in his hand, on his way home, he felt like throwing it away in the street, for one moment, and then never showing up to work again, just so he could avoid Taehyung for the rest of his life.

But the message wasn't from Taehyung. It was from Eunwoo.

Are you free tonight? Want to come to my place? (:

Jeongguk stared at his phone screen, a guilty feeling worming its way through his insides. The situation with Taehyung was pissing him off so much, he was so constantly thinking about it, that his brain kept erasing every other thought from his mind. And so, for the past two weeks, Jeongguk had found himself frequently forgetting Eunwoo's very existence, and when he was suddenly reminded of it, he felt ashamed.

Eunwoo deserved better.

Since he always felt like he had to make it up to him, even though his heart was never in it, he never turned him down when his boyfriend wanted to meet. He tried his best to appear cheerful, and although he wasn't such a great actor, Eunwoo either didn't notice that he wasn't his usual self, or chose not to comment on it. Either way, it suited Jeongguk.

But tonight, knowing that he would have to train Taehyung the following day, he felt so high-strung that he decided to pass. Seeing Eunwoo would only aggravate his guilt, and he really didn't need that right now. He needed to be psychologically prepared for what awaited him the next afternoon.

Sorry, babe. Had a rough day at work and I don't think I would be good company tonight. Rain check?

Oh, Eunwoo replied with a sad face emoji. Sure, don't worry! Want to talk about it though?

Really, Jeongguk didn't deserve him.

Not much to say, dumbass clients today and more dumbass clients to look forward to tomorrow. Text you when we can meet?

Deal!

Jeongguk sighed, ashamed to feel relief at the idea of not having to see him.

He was a shitty boyfriend.