Chapter 0: Part 2 - That's in the distance, isn't it?

The team leaves the office, except for Kayden.

Rhys: "Yes Kayden?" His focus on some of the supplies he was organizing for the mission prior to their meeting.
Kayden: "The hell's your plan?" He slips out through his slight frown.
Rhys: "Were you not listening? The plan is get in, grab samples, get out."
Kayden: "No shit, it's what we've done for the past 3 years Rhys. I meant with this team, why'd you choose us of all people? And why only now?"
Rhys: "I've explained that already. You really weren't listening." He sighs.

"Go on." He takes his glasses off. "Do it."
Kayden: "I'm not 12 anymore Rhys. Not gonna punch you."
Rhys: "Then what do you want?"
Kayden: "Answers." He takes a seat on one of the wooden chairs. "I want you to clarify why all of us were chosen only now. This ain't you being random."

Kayden's temper has always been uncertain, random things have pissed him off ever since they met, yet it doesn't surprise Rhys to see him sit down to have a serious conversation.

He sighs again, letting himself fall back on the chair.
"I'm tired Kayden. Sending people to their deaths. Being cursed at wherever I go. Being observed in the street like I'm no different from all the creatures outside these walls. It's exhausting." Kayden listens. "I guess I've run out of options. I can't keep sending inexperienced people into Zones. And the only ones that have been to several, some of which have lived outside, are you guys. My closest friends."

Kayden: "This the only way to make it up to the Colony peeps huh? Sending people important to you."
Rhys: "..."
Kayden: "Ya know, I wouldn't have been such a pain in the ass if you told me that from the get-go, in that letter you sent."
Rhys: "Like I'd cry to you about it." He scoffs.
Kayden: "I guess some things never change huh." He smirks. "But you should've at least told me something. 'Sides, I'm supposed to be your right hand, aren't I? Who told you to keep the burden all for yourself?"

Rhys: "I appreciate it Kayden." They give each other a glance. "You're right. I don't think I can do this on my own much longer. We've pretty much kept this place functional together, pretending we haven't would be unfair."

Kayden: "Geez, thought you'd never say it!!" He smirks. "I'm in. Soon as I'm back from the mission, we can look over things together, and sort whatever needs sorting."
Rhys: "Thank you. You're the bestfriend I could have asked for."
Kayden: "Gah shut up will ya? Don't go suckin' up to me now, I'm still pissed off you got Reyna and everyone else involved. But, it's not like I don't understand where you're coming from."
Rhys: "And I'm never letting you speak to me in formal meetings like you did today again. It's the first and last exception.

Kayden peers over his shoulder one last time before leaving the main office. Smirk on his face.

Kayden: "See you soon."
Rhys: "Likewise."

...

Once outside, Reyna's talking to Billy and Rory, who were all waiting for him to leave.
When they spot him, Reyna diverts her gaze.

Kayden: "You guys waited."
Rory: "'Course we did, how else are we supposed to invite you over?"
Kayden: "Huh? What for?"
Rory: "Duuumb question!!" He slaps the back of Kayden's neck.
Kayden: "AGHH!! ASSHOLE!!"

Reyna and Billy chuckle.

Kayden: "HEY CUT IT OUT!! IT'S NOT FUNNY YOU PRICKS!!"
Billy: "I wasn't laughing, I was just clearing my throat." Adjusting his glasses.
Kayden: "Oh yeah!? Watch this finger make it in your throat then!" He threatens.
Billy: "Man that sounds a little frui- H-HEY!!" Kayden interrupts by getting him into a chokehold and scratching his skull with a fist.
Billy: "AAAAHH THIS IS UNFAIR!!!! YOU'RE TOO FREAKING STRONG!!! STOP!!!STOPSTOPSTOPSTOP!!! FUUUUCK!!!" He struggles to get himself loose, facing Kayden Moss's fist of death, mano a mano.