Chapter 0: Part 4 - Oddities of Life

GASP

He shoots up from the ground. Breaths heavy enough to fill up a balloon with a single exhale.
Panic strikes after what he just saw.

Where is he?? Is everyone alright?? Where's Zach and all the Goliaths??? For how long was he unconscious???

That's when he notices Reyna is sleeping to his right. Mell and Amina are backed up against the couch, sleeping while cuddled up against each other to his left. Billy's behind his head, sprawled all over the couch. But no Rory.

Quiet footsteps. There he is! Walking back into the living room, sandwhich in one hand, beer in the other.
He approaches and sits down in front of Kayden.

Rory: "Here."
Kayden: "Food...?" He questions, lying back down, hand on his head.
Rory: "Yeah. Saw you were panting while I was cleaning stuff up. Sounded to me like you were killing Zach in your sleep."
Kayden: "Well that's embarrassing..."
Rory: "So? What better way to recover from a gut-wrenching nightmare than some food?" He taunts.
Kayden: "Thanks man."He takes the items from Rory's hands.
Rory: "Want some water too?"
Kayden: "Actually, yeah.. That'd be nice. Beer's only good before you fall asleep. And even then.. It's ass."
Rory: "Haha!! That's true!! Gimme a sec."

He makes his way to the kitchen, then returns with a bottle of water under his arm, as well as another beer and sandwich for himself in each hand.
He sits back down in front of Kayden.

Rory: "So." He takes a bite. "What was that about?"

He hesitates to speak for a moment.
Kayden: "..."

"The party was wrecked by the Goliaths. Reyna was kidnapped."

Rory's jaw drops a little as listens.

"It happened after I left in the middle of the party. To go for a walk of all things. Then I payed a visit to Rhys and asked him to come over with me, which he refused. Then when I got back..."
Rory: "The door and windows were destroyed?"

Kayden raises an eyebrow.
"How the hell do you know that?"

Rory: "You said it in your sleep. I'm surprised no one woke up with you saying all that." He takes a sip of beer.
Kayden: "Just... for how long were you listening again?"
Rory: "Well, it's 01:37 in the morning, you passed out around 12."
Kayden: "An hour and some..."

He takes a sip of water and sits back towards the couch, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath.
Reyna, who's still sleeping, takes a hold of his waist and brings herself closer to him, putting her leg over his own, and murmuring his name in her sleep.

Rory: "She really loves you, doesn't she?"
Kayden: "Yeah..."

They both look at her for a moment.

Kayden: "Hey Rory." His friend hums in a questioning tone. "Did we, by any chance, play drunk Jenga tonight?"
Rory: "Yes sir. Why do you ask? Your memory failin'?"
Kayden: "Nah, it's just that we did the same in my dream. You, Mell and Reyna were the last ones standing when I walked out."
Rory: "Really? That's kinda odd since I saw you passing out before Billy. That guy almost had me but, it just wasn't enough. I blacked out shortly after him though. Woke up a bit ago."
Kayden: "Always competing with him huh? Were Mell and Reyna down when you woke up?"

Rory hesitates.
"Well... Yes."
Kayden: "What's that face for?"
Rory: "Well it's just that... They were making out in their sleep when I woke up.."

Kayden stares at him for a moment.
"HAHAHA!!! NO WAYYY!! I'MMM not surprised at all."
Rory: "Hahaha!! Yeah I get what you mean.. It was just really weird to see. Don't tell them once they wake up."
Kayden: "It was hot wasn't it? Rory you're nasty!!!" He punches him in the arm and cackles. "They used to like each other back in the day, before I came around."
Rory: "Reyna told you about that, did she?"
Kayden: "Yeah. It was before she got with the other piece of shit."
Rory: "That's right. It's only been 3 years since you got here but, so much has happened to our friend group because of you. I'm not supposed to feed your ego, but you're our natural leader ya know? We follow your steps."

Kayden scoffs.
"Lay off asshole." He raises his beer. "To our friendship then."

Rory complies and dinks his beer with Kayden's.
"To our friendship."

They reminisce and talk about things for a few more minutes. That's when Rory asks.

Rory: "Kayden, I've been meaning to ask you ever since you woke up. You down to talk about the rest of what happened in your nightmare? I heard you say more things besides his name."
Kayden: "Sure. Not like I can keep it to myself anyway."
"To sum the first part up, Zach sent his goons here to beat you guys up in order to take Reyna. Left you all for dead.
Billy and Amina were tied up on this couch" He points behind himself. "And Mell was strapped to that table Billy got from his granddad. All of them unconscious.
As for you... Well... You got the worst treatment out of everyone."

Rory: "Shit, really? Why do you hate me even in your dreams??" He groans.
Kayden: "Ha. Ha. funny.
Either way, you were on the floor next to Mell with a syringe in the back of your neck, foaming at the mouth."

Rory: "What the...?!"
Kayden: "Yeah, it wasn't pretty. That's what they used to get you guys unconscious.
Rory: "Hmm. My question is, why would you dream this?"
Kayden: "Hold on dawg, there's more. I went out the backdoor and saw footprints leading into the forest... When I followed them, I came out at a random house on the other side and saw the light turn on. "
Rory: "Through the forest behind our house?" He inquires, just to make sure.
Kayden: "Exactly. And after going in, I spot Zach sitting on a chair to my right. I could feel nothing but overwhelming hate when I saw him. It was so strong that it felt like my face was contorting in a way, and I didn't have any control over my body. So I sprint into the room to try and catch him, only to get apprehended and beaten to a pulp by his friends. Then some other Goliaths brought Reyna out from a different room on his command, and then he- he just fucking-" He sighs, followed by a frown.

Rory: "It's fine dude, you've told me more than enough already-"
Kayden: "Zach violated her. Right in front of my fucking face." Rory's eyes widen. "That's why I said I'd kill him. That's what made me so mad." He stands up and walks towards the bathroom. Wrinkles still carved inbetween his eyes. "I'm fine now thanks to you, but this nightmare was just, gross."

Rory: "I can't say I haven't had nightmares like that. But this one seems way over the top."
Kayden: "It is. But it was just a dream. It's not like any of that is gonna happen."
Rory: "I'm curious to why you dreamed it though."
Kayden: "Why's that? Nightmares just happen sometimes, ya know?"
Rory: "True. But that house you saw, it might not be as much of a dream as the rest."

Kayden raises his eyebrow again, as Rory stands up and walks towards him.
"What?? Does that mean the house exists?"

Rory: "I'm pretty sure it does. I remember seeing a few houses scattered around while exploring the forest with Billy and Mell. Back in the day.
There was this one house that me and Billy never dared getting close to, but the same couldn't be said for Mell. She seemed to be really interested in exploring that house for some reason. She said that it called out to her in a way.
We were kids at the time so we thought she was just crazy."
Kayden: "She is." He sighs.

Rory: "Since we were little, some of our parents used to tell us scary stories about most of the houses to keep us away from exploring too far into the forest. But none of them ever mentioned that one house.
Kayden: "And you're sure that's the exact house I saw?"
Rory: "It's just a hunch since all of them look the same. But it's worth trying to explore right? We have a bit of free time."

Kayden: "Hah! Of course it is!! Who do you think I am Rory?! I'm in." He bumps fists with him.
Rory: "Bet. Tomorrow morning we'll go in the forest and check that place out. Hopefully there's some interesting stuff in there."

...

Two days remaining until the expedition.