Chapter 5: Part 3 - Greater Issues

-------------------------------------
Apperton Colony - Level 5
Smithing grounds / 22:10
-------------------------------------

Abigail takes them down a large set of stairs that thoroughly dive into the lower levels of Apperton. Right next to it is a ramp, built out of granite in order to provide a solid and grippy surface for the carriers can easily traverse between levels without the risk of slipping and falling. The ramp obeys a zigzag-like structure, so the inclination isn't as prominent, and allows carts or contraptions on wheels to transport materials and products.

Once they make it down, smitheries upon smitheries clutter the long hallway ahead. Beyond the massive wooden gates that remain wide, dozens of hard-working smiths produce the equipment that is being sold in the upper levels.
Abigail powerfully stomps her metal boot on the stone floor.

Abigail: "WORKEEERS!!" The clattering immediately stops.

......

"IN THE GLORY OF APPERTON!!! WE SHALL MAKE THESE THE MOST POWERFUL!!!! THE MOST DURABLE!!! THE SHINIEST!! AND THE SHARPEST EQUIPMENT ANYONE HAS EVER COME IN CONTACT WITH!!! TO DESTROY THE INFECTED CURSE THAT HAS UNFAIRLY FALLEN UPON US!!
WHO THE FUCK IS WITH ME!?!"

Workers: "AUUUUUUUGH!!!"

Abigail: "I CAN'T HEAAAR YAAA!!!"

Workers: "AUUUGH!!! AUUUGH!!! AUUUGH!!!!" They chant, some slam their tools against the anvils, others keep waving their hammers and swords in the air, as a deep melodic singing between them all begins. The Call of Never-Ending Brilliance. A poem written by an old soul that watched Apperton take shape over the years. Even Nali began humming it as they walked further into the Hall of Smiths.

Kohen and Orton can't wrap their heads around the complexity of the machinery compared to upstairs. All of those pipes bring every ounce of usable steam down here, letting it condensate and using the water to cool down the tools without wasting a single drop of it. It's such a genius process!!
Since it's still a cruel world outside of the walls, they can't afford to waste a single resource.

Before they could fully appreciate the aesthetic of this place, they face the ending of the underground tunnel. The path branches off left and right, although there is a massive copper statue of an old man straight ahead, holding an umbrella tipped on the floor, with a large book underneath his right arm.

The label below it reads:
"Sir. Nostradamus Hallard. The founder of Apperton city."

This makes Kohen wonder what Abigail's connection to him is, and to this city in general. If her last name is Myrellie, then how does she know about the Royal Families? Are they actually friends? Why is the Warden, arguably the most important figure in the Colony, in such a small office? And why can no one see or disturb the Royal Families?

Something seems fishy.

...

They finally arrive at the end of the hallway to the left, and hidden in the corner is a little shop named "Gardnt's Blackery", plastered across the wall.
Abigail powerfully knocks on the door.

Orton: "That's a strange name for a shop."
Abigail: "Dude's got a few screws loose."
Orton: "Honestly, everyone here does."
Abigail: "What else did you expect?"
Orton: "Good question.."

The door creaks open.
???: "What in the muddafuckin' blades is all this NOISE!?"

A seemingly washed up old man swings the door open. Long leather apron covering a grey cloth shirt, with leather pants that drop down to the shins. Heavy boots detailed with several metal plates.
The wrinkles below his purple eyes are covered by the smoke from the thick copper pipe, embellished with a wooden stem.
He scratches the back of his head.