Chapter 5: Part 1 - Greater Issues

--------------------------------------
Apperton Castle - 19:55
Warden's Abode
--------------------------------------

This castle is beyond impressive. Massive stone blocks are stacked next to each other to create the foundations they walk on. The walls have large wooden beams, carved with several handmade designs, connecting to the ceiling held nearly a story taller than them.

After walking for a few more minutes through this section of the castle, they finally meet the large doors that stand between them and the Warden.
Unsurprisingly, they are greeted by 6 guards tasked with protecting her, although they are far from normal. They're made out of copper. Machines with the sole purpose of protecting the figure they hold dear to their core.

Kohen: "What the hell are those, Nali?" He whispers, hoping the question goes unnoticed by those around him, even though one of guards meets his gaze. Deep blue eyes, with a lighter shaded iris within them. Blinking. Then returning to his original position. It causes Kohen to shudder.

Nali: "Those are Revenants."
Kohen: "Revenants!? Like the infected?"
Nali: "Yes sir! But there's a difference between them. Actually, why don't you ask the Warden herself?! She's the one who made them after all.
If you gotta ask about anything regarding Neo-Revenants, she's the boss!"
Kohen: "NO FREAKING WAY!? THAT'S SO COOL!!"
Nali: "Shhhh!! Keep it down!! You're gonna disturb the royal families!"
Kohen: "Royal families?"
Nali: "Yeah! They're the ones that manage resources for Apperton. We can't disturb them, otherwise we're toast."
Kohen: "I see..."

During the Apperton Crisis, the Royal Families worked alongside the Myrellies in order to stabilize the Colony. Stephanie provided resources and they utilized them flawlessly. If it weren't for their bright minds working in unison, and effectively applying resources where needed, the Colony of Apperton would have fallen. The identity of the Higgurath, Heisenberg and Hallard family leaders has been kept a secret, since revealing them to the public could cause a plethra of issues.

Nali glances at him.
"You've used a lot of fancier words today Kohen.. You sure you're okay?"
Kohen: "Look man. There are so many new and interesting things I've never seen before, and that don't understand. I could literally write an entire encyclopedia about this place just with the little bits I've seen today! I'm just interested in this, okay? Stop asking me if I'm okay all the damn time."
Nali: "You're the boss." He shrugs, smile.

As Myrellie steps towards the doors, so does the copper guard towards her. The metal clinks caused by his quick movements startle her, giving life to the gears and steam dynamos working within it. This is a version of them she hasn't seen before.

Royal Guard 1: "Identify yourselves. Who has allowed you in the castle?"
Myrellie: "I am Stephanie Myrellie, and I am accompanied by my disciples. Chief guard Jarred at the gates of the Colony was the one who allowed us passage."

The entire group of guards kneels before Myrellie, while the one speaking opens the door for her.
"Welcome back Miss Myrellie, we are honored to greet you with open arms."
Myrellie: "My pleasure! I appreciate your concern."

That shine Orton saw in the other contraptions is much stronger with these guards, not to mention the fact they have extremely shiny blue cores in their chests. Does the Aether concentration need to be stronger because they don't have fleshy bodies? Is it because there's many more functions that need to be done on a larger scale within the copper? Or does less Aether need to be used in humans because there's something special about them? About human flesh in specific? Is it electricity? Or is it energy? Is it related to the soul?