Chapter 10 - Zamaton

Zamaton.

Formerly a place of nothing but rumour and hearsay, has now become the hotspot of the world. Until recently, the targets for breaches by The Wraiths have been nothing more than smaller settlemets, due to their numbers falling shorter to those of Colonies. The only exception to this was Elbagross Colony, located below the center of the region, where Thibillith stands tall. The Wraiths' sudden shift towards North was beyond strange, considering the activity in the South continued as usual, albeit in smaller amounts. 

It was like they came to a realization that turned their focus in the complete opposite direction. Why? And more importantly, are they really the only force collapsing the walls of Colonies, settlements and outposts alike? Could there be something or someone else? More powerful? With different objectives?

What is Zamaton hiding? Nobody stops talking about it, but due to what? Even the Royals in Apperton have their eyes on it.
Who are the people living here and what do they know to get so much attention directed towards them? To get attacked this way? 

These questions pile up in the back of Myrellie's head, as the group closes distance on the gate that has been completely shattered. Chunks of wood and cement sprawled over a large area in front of, and beyond the entrance.

Orton: "What the hell..." He approaches, standing right in front of the gate. His friends catch up and suddenly stop, finally seeing this ruthless destruction on bright display in front of him.

Massive debris horrifically explain the aftermath, but not the cause. Bodies littered across the floor, and under rocks. Large beams of wood struck through several different buildings. Some animals dead, others walking around like the streets are their turf. Although the attack occured three months ago, these bodies haven't decomposed, some of them still dripping blood that seems fresh.

Myrellie steps inside, and as her children follow, they spot a short-haired man with black earrings, vewry well dressed, exiting the building to their left, which seems to remain relatively intact compared to the rest of this place. He immediately notices them, and after adjusting his tie, he slides both hands inside the tight pockets of his pants, approaching them.

???: "Can I help you?"

Kohen immediately stands in front of Myrellie and his friends, Orton by his side.
"Stand back! Talk from over there." The man stops.

???: "..." 

Kohen: "Who are you?"

???: "That's what I should be asking you. This place is already destroyed. What do you want?"
Kohen: "Do you live here?"
???: "Who's asking?"

Myrellie frowns. Why is this man talking like there's still something to lose here? And why's he so calm about it? His words don't seem dismissive, but his stare hides something more behind it.
Hand on Kohen's shoulder, she approaches the man.

Myrellie: "We came from Thibillith Colony on the other side of the subway station. We want to know what happened to this place."

???: "What's it to you?"

Myrellie: "Due to recent outbreaks done by a group of scavengers known as 'The Wraiths', several Colonies and establishments have been reduced to nothing but dust. I'm sure you've heard of them."

???: "Who hasn't?" He slides two fingers inside of the small chest pocket of his button-up shirt, pulling a lighter from it. He pulls a cigarette pack from the left pocket of his pants with the other hand. "They're pieces of human garbage. Although I guarantee you this wasn't their doing."