[10]

Nowaki woke up from his sleep to find Hiroki clinging onto his back. His arms held him tight. He grew accustomed to Hiroki holding onto him all throughout the night. He didn't realize he craved physical contact until he started staying with Hiroki. Back home, he went home and slept with a variety of pillows. Replacements of his old childhood bear he lost during his transition into childhood. This new development brought him comfort. He turned around with a big smile. Brushing Hiroki's bangs from his forehead, he pulled Hiroki close. In a way, he used him as a pseudo teddy bear. Although, he didn't delusion himself into believing it. Hiroki was a living breathing person.

When Hiroki stirred from his sleep, he closed his eyes. Most of the time, he heard Hiroki muttering in his native tongue. He assumed the comments were on his habit of holding him in his sleep. His name always comes up in between the sentences. Not too hard to figure out. He faked he woke up when Hiroki moved away from the bed and let the cold air in. Hiroki ignored him as he went to the extended room to grab his tools.

This time, Hiroki held him close and nuzzled his face into his chest.

Nowaki's eyes snapped open. He gulped and his heart beat faster. Looking down, all he saw was Hiroki's long messy hair. Hiroki started braiding it when he slept. This caused his straight hair to turn into waving curls. Not that it stopped the leaves getting stuck in his hair. Strands stuck out from the once immaculate braid. They tickled his nose, and he wanted nothing more than to sneeze. He held back the urge.

Moving his head to another direction, he feigned on just waking up from his sleep. Hiroki stiffened in his arms. Nowaki played it off as he lifted himself up with one arm. He inspected Hiroki's face, and he stifled a laugh. Hiroki's scrunched up face gave Nowaki enough information to know that he remained awake. He sat up and stretched his arms above his head.

Getting up in a crouching position, he shook Hiroki, no force behind his hand. "Hiroki-san...time to wake up." He bit the inside of his cheek in amusement the moment Hiroki turned away from him. "Hiroki-san, I didn't take you as someone who stayed asleep after sunrise. You always leave before I even start waking up." He moved Hiroki's shoulder again. "Hiroki-san?"

After moments of silence, Hiroki muttered. "Go away."

Nowaki tutted. "You told me last night of your schedule for today. You're supposed to meet your mother for breakfast. At least make it there before she comes searching for you." Hiroki peeked over his shoulder with a glaring set of eyes. "I never took you as a man who procrastinates from seeing his own mother."

"I see her every single day. It doesn't matter that I see her later on in the week."

"You promised, didn't you?" Nowaki got up on his feet as sing songed. "Do you want me to get you another set of clothing? I'm going to change right now." He went into the room next door in a slow pace.

Hiroki didn't answer Nowaki as he sat up. Knowing full well Nowaki grabbed a skirt for him to wear. Rubbing his eyes with an enclosed fist, he smacked his lips. He rubbed his hot face and tried pushing the physical embarrassment from view. He hoped Nowaki caught no wind of his slip up. How he managed to snuggle close to his warm chest and dare to dream of staying in the same position. Night after night.

The village saw their living situation as a testing period for their relationship. More people handed him presents, almost as if marriage was on the horizon. He placed them behind his usual clutter before Nowaki noticed while he rearranged anything in their home. His wish for their relationship to gain deeper ground might not happen. Nowaki believed a different reality.

The guise of a gracious host who placated his fears. Hiding his blunder from the villagers. A mistake where Nowaki still didn't understand the ramifications of his actions. Everyone in the village placed their eyes on him. Trying to find something off about the man wanting to capture the leaders only son's affections.