[11]

The brunt of the storm settled into a subtle trickling of rain. Falling through the gaps in between the leaves on the high canopies above their heads. Giving everyone a chance to collect water and pick nearby fruit from the trees. From their position on a small slope, Nowaki remained inside of the hut. He watched the rain hitting the scattered puddles in the surrounding area. To his relief, Hiroki mentioned nothing of his fear of thunderstorms. He let him cling to his body. Through the night, he apologized for the marks he left with his fingernails. Hiroki's fingers running through his hair provided a comfort he never received.

As an infant, the attention came the moment he cried. Growing older meant he dealt with such things on his own. This skyrocketed during his teenage years. He went to no one for his problems. Keeping them bottled up inside instead of burdening someone else. The bonds he developed in the orphanage broke in his hard times. He distanced himself and pushed himself through his studies. Countless sleepless nights and keeping a painted smile on his face.

This island revamped his way of thinking. Throughout how many weeks passed, the days meshed together. He lost count on the last date he noted. Having immersed himself in learning the culture of the village, he lost track of the time. He couldn't pinpoint the exact date or day of the week. Not that it mattered to anyone in the village. They pointed out the seasons. No concrete significance of the year.

No importance on birthdays. When he asked Fuyumi about her birthday, she responded along with a lackluster smile which held no energy behind it. Her last celebration happened in the company of her family. Her memories of her life in Tokyo went hazy and grief filled her mind instead. After his calculations, he told her about her age. Her astonishment came from the fact she was younger than she expected not the number.

This meant Hiroki was between twenty-seven and thirty. From the young appearance, he assumed closer to twenty-seven.

He rubbed his hands together. An oncoming wave of wind hit his exposed skin, causing goose pimples all throughout his body. Blowing inside of his cupped hands to warm up his hands from the cold. A blanket was placed on his shoulder, making him turn his head. He smiled at Hiroki with gratefulness.

"Thank you, Hiroki-san." Nowaki clutched the furs tighter around his body and relished in the softness.

Hiroki ruffled Nowaki's hair and told him. "I'll be back later."

Nowaki tilted his head back. Hiroki carried his usual fishing gear on his body and his hair was pulled away from his face. "It's still raining outside. What can you possibly do outside? I haven't seen anyone walking around from where I'm seated. Maybe a kid grabbing a random fruit but so far it's been empty."

"I'm going to fish." Hiroki answered as he shuffled his basket on his back. "We ran out of our cured meats and I'm starving. From the looks of the rain, it will clear up in a few days. I can still go right now before it gets any worse."

Nowaki grabbed Hiroki's hand, stopping him from taking another step outside. Hiroki tugged his hand back, Nowaki tightened his grip. "Isn't it too dangerous to go on your own?"

Hiroki sighed, crouching down beside Nowaki, he explained. "I do this all the time. The weather is not horrible enough to keep me from walking outside. Are you thinking something will happen to me?"

Nowaki kept his grip on Hiroki's hand. "I have seen the way you fish. You toss your tools aside and dive right into the ocean. Who is going to make sure you don't drown?"

"I know how to swim."

"Doesn't matter." Nowaki didn't release Hiroki's hand, he insisted. "Plenty of experienced swimmers can lose their lives due to negligence. Not to say you're neglectful, but, this unpredictable weather calls for you to have someone come along with you. I suggest you wait until the weather clears out. It's safer that way."