[14]

Leader Soshi and Fuyumi, sat inside of the Shaman's hut, unaffected at the overwhelming smell of herbs. Having done multiple meetings in the enclosed space, nothing phased them. He reappeared with two containers filled with coconut water, offering them a beverage. Thanking him for the coconut water, they sipped, taking away their previous thirst before entering the home.

The Shaman set his usual herbs in front of him and began separating them different sections. "Before I begin my explanations for this meeting, how is Heroukee and his new intended? Will there be a wedding on the horizon? Shall I stay vigilant for when they inform us?"

Fuyumi and Soshi stifled a laugh at his mispronunciation of their son's name. The Shaman pronounced Fuyumi's name correctly, but for some reason, he kept on saying Hiroki's name in different ways. Soshi suspected that The Shaman did it on purpose to rile up Hiroki until he snapped.

Soshi controlled himself before he said. "I'm curious to know myself. Fuyumi is the one who interacts with them on her own." He glanced over at Fuyumi. "What are your observations?"

"Hiroki told me that Nowaki has settled into his home. Both of them have entered their own way of daily life and Nowaki has expressed no complaints. He has taken to helping Hiroki maintain their home." Fuyumi set down her bowl of coconut water on her side. "It's amazing to see our son settling down."

"About time too," Soshi said. "He found on attraction to anyone in our village. I almost gave up hope on him picking a spouse. I would have preferred him to make the gift exchange, but at least Kusama made the first move."

"Remember, they are visiting us for dinner. Considering you three don't cross paths, you may ask them your questions." Fuyumi added in. "They missed our last dinner arrangement due to sleeping in. I caught them in their hammock when I went to collect them."

Soshi shook his head, exasperated. "Hiroki giving into his laziness."

"He doesn't want to stray too far from his fiance. It's no surprise they slept the afternoon away. I didn't have the heart to wake them up. They appeared peaceful."

The Shaman coughed into his hand, gaining their attention. "From my observations of the sky, there will be an oncoming storm sweeping this area. Despite the sunny weather, the storm will take place soon." Taking in the leaders reactions, he resumed. "It is best to have a majority of our people take higher ground. It will last for a day, but it won't stick around for long."

"I see..." Fuyumi worried her lower lip, not liking what the Shaman told them. "Will this storm pass quickly or cause immense damage to our village?"

The Shaman kneaded herbs in his hands, causing the oils to break. "It will sound devastating, but we will rebuild the less than secured homes near the ocean. Our own will not die if they stay put on this island."

"Stay put?"

"Yes, Leader Fuyumi." The Shaman inhaled the herbs before setting them down into the mortar. "A certain group of people will attempt an escape sometime in the next few days. More so, on the day the storm will hit this island."

Fuyumi gasped. "These people are still trying to leave the island? Oh no, they completed their vessel..."

Soshi predicted such an outcome sometime ago. The behavior and leers stirred distrust in him. Peering at his wife, her crestfallen face prompted an inkling of anger on her behalf. "I guessed as much."

"Try as you might, you can't stop them. The family living near the area has heard their conversations." The Shaman nodded at Fuyumi. "Your lessons in your primary language have provided a tool in our arsenal. Otherwise, we wouldn't have known about their treachery. Will you two proceed in intercepting them?"