[13]

From the start, Misaki grasped on the ridiculous and stupid idea that he concocted to meet up with Aki. Go to his village, ask for him, and confront him over their misunderstanding. End the assumption which lead from him to conclude the intentions behind taking the first basket. The guy kept bumping into him during his walks or left fruit baskets in front of the hut.

In a way, the attention flattered him. Back home, no one considered him date able and this sort of stranger wanted him. It took him getting stranded on an island for someone to take an interest. Life pulled ridiculous punches against him; he learned long ago to submit to his fate. The stalker aspect of the guy down poured over the positivity. Tagging him as a wife brought on his ire.

He ended up asking Fauna to tag along with him, going on his own in a dangerous forest, just begged for him to get injured. She hesitated for a breath of a second. Once she remembered the numerous lost people, those stubborn enough to leave without a guide, she agreed to go with him. Misaki asked her before he thought of going on his own. A smart move on his part.

They woke up at the crack of dawn, preparing themselves for the hike up ahead.

Misaki wore a simple tunic, putting on a thin shawl made of old materials for clothing to cover his chest. He asked her about taking a gift along with him, but she negated his intentions. He might entice Aki through returning the gift giving gesture and propose a ceremony of all things. Fauna knew Aki from a young age and told Misaki of his persistent nature. His continual pursuit of him wasn't surprising.

He thought on giving weaponry, but those were exclusive to the leaders of the villages and their kin. Dropping the gift idea, he followed after Fauna into the forest.

On their journey, she pointed certain scratches on trees or indicators for him to remember. At some points, she used her own knife to carve into the tree again, making the indicator visible again. Misaki tried paying attention to her words, but the nervousness blocked out her words.

She waved an arm in front of him, stopping him from taking another step. Two men, holding weapons in their hands, stepped out of the thick brush. One of them pointed his spear at Fauna's neck, Misaki tried to get in between them, but she pulled him back before he made a mistake. She shared brief words with them, asking about having an audience with their intended person of interest.

Misaki didn't hear the name Aki. Although, he assumed Fauna said Aki's real name to gain access. He remembered someone told him that Hiroki gave Aki this nickname during their childhood. Something about not being able to pronounce the original name. The guy even answered through this name, making the people who called him through his original name reduce to a small number.

Maybe his family called him through his original name.

He shuffled his foot on the ground, creating a dent on the ground. Gripping his hands together, he tried stopping the quivering from showing on his hands. Once Fauna addressed him, he snapped out of his thoughts. She motioned him to follow her, and she began walking.

The men snickered as he passed in front of them. He understood none of their comments, but knew they made fun of his weak muscles. Flushed in the face and annoyed, he stalked after Fauna.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Holding back the urge to pick at the loose thread from his shawl, he tapped his foot, waiting for Fauna to return toward Aki's hut. According to her, Aki left on a solo fishing trip. No one knew his location. This seemed normal for the guy since every person Fauna asked gave the same answer: they didn't know Aki's location. Fauna told him to stay put as she went on her own, thinking she might locate him on her own.