[17]

Having woken up before the sun rose in the sky, Nowaki stared down at Hiroki's sleeping form. Enjoying the sight, he remained in bed, not wanting to disturb Hiroki. His sleeping fog dissipated from his mind as the sun rose in the sky, bringing in light through the flap covering the front entrance. Warmness spread inside of his chest when Hiroki snuggled closer to him, burrowing his face into his torso. Reaching out his untied hand, he ran his fingers through Hiroki's long hair.

Throughout the night, he dreamed of the future. His old dream of a pediatrician vanished before his eyes. At first, his heart broke at the sight of his doctor's coat leaving him. Any semblance of his old home in Tokyo disappeared, leaving lush green lands and sand underneath his feet.

Nothing chaotic filled his subconscious, bliss and content overfilled him. A feeling he lacked since his childhood. His naive, rose colored eyes, shattered as he grew older. The bitterness of the other orphans didn't help much either. A harsh reality which darkened his viewpoint as he grew older. Still, he kept a smile on his face throughout his hardships.

It was hard not to show his true sadness to others. He learned in the orphanage that once a child passed a certain age, their feelings didn't matter in the grand scheme of the caretakers. Little children were somewhat coddled while the older ones toughened up fast.

He became one of the older kids faster than usual. The influx of new kids left caretakers placing their efforts on the new and young. As an older brother, his needs were put in the back burner, up until the caretakers remembered through his constant insistence. Thus, began an era of independence and self reliance.

Once he grew out the system, he worked multiple hours a day to build up savings and spending money. A year later, he entered community college, then studied his way up through his classes. The interest of medicine came through taking first aid classes to add another skill to his repertoire. Also, the idea of helping others helped him through those tougher nights.

He remembered his tiredness with some fondness. Just a bit. Living alone in a small apartment, studying night after night, working long hours to sustain himself, drained his mind. Days blended into the same routine where he forgot small incidents that happened on which day. Meaning, his mind scrambled around to leave room for his constant studying and memorizing work related duties.

The month before his transfer to America, he resigned from almost all his jobs, keeping the highest paying one until the day before his flight. He slept well into the night and woke up to sunlight hitting his face. A welcoming sight after waking up before sunrise for work.

On the island, his rest caught up with him. Feeling less groggy and tired, he reverted back to a version of himself that he assumed left him years ago. He enjoyed the ambiance and kind people who welcomed him in. Albeit he inversed himself to present his interest in the culture. He didn't sneer at their way of life. Unlike others who brushed the island aside as an inconvenience.

The island and its people grasped his heart, mainly the one in his arms, in more ways than one.

Xxxxxxxxxx

Upon configuring a heartbeat coming from his pillow, Hiroki snapped his eyes open. Tilting his head up, he saw Nowaki's bright blue eyes staring down at him. Surprised, Hiroki uttered out. "You..You didn't leave." Hiroki lifted his head up from his spot on Nowaki's chest.

Nowaki held up his tied up hand, moving Hiroki's hand along with it. He ignored the stinging coming from the areas where the fabric rubbed against his skin. "Well, you tied me up before we fell asleep."

Hiroki got on his knees, staring at their conjoined hands. "You had one chance to go home."

"And I didn't leave our home. I'm comfortable to stay here in your arms." Nowaki loosened the cloth tied around their wrists. "I bound myself to you last night after all."