[18]

Caring little for the wet sand sticking to his feet, Mako hauled his fishing gear over his shoulder as he walked through the beach trail. Days after the storm, any sign of incoming rain disappeared with the clouds floating in the sky. This reprieve gave him a chance to go out and collect food for his home. He also added on the errand of bringing a small catch for his parents. They didn't need to ask; he offered his own services once he saw their dimming supply of food.

Breathing in the fresh ocean air, he stared out at the calm, sparkling water. In a way, he hoped those people who left found their peace in themselves. After all the effort in building that raft, he overheard their stories filled with longing, wanting nothing more than to return home to the awaiting homes of their families. Whatever positive thoughts he contained in his mind, disappeared when he heard these people insult their village, not to mention, the disparaging words about their leaders.

Kana and the few others who somewhat understood their language, confirmed his findings.

Ever since their imprisonment, none of these escapees saw them in a good light. The Shaman was tricked into letting them out of home and loose into their village. At least, he assumed the Shaman saw a fake image of these people during their evaluation in order to let them free. He wouldn't put it past these people.

He tried thinking on the bright side. It didn't do him any good to overthink opinions of others who had plans of leaving. The comments covered their people as a whole, not picking any one in particular into account. In such a case, someone might have intervened before anything escalated. Their presence did nothing more than bring stress to the leaders and their son.

A positive energy resurfaced on the village once the raft sailed on the ocean. Taking away all the foul energy which exuded from these people. Washing away the negativity alongside the sudden rainstorm which swept over their island.

No one missed them at all.

As he pushed these people out of his mind, he saw something in his peripheral vision. Turning to the left, he saw someone laying down on the sand. From the sight of seaweed scattered around the wet sand, he noticed the different material of clothing. Remembering their newest people wore their clothing, this seemed unusual to find someone wearing outsider type clothing.

Setting his materials onto the sand, he walked over to the person. Inspecting the chest, he saw no rise of the rib cage, indicating that the person still breathed. Paling, he began jogging, trying to shorten the distance between him and this person.

Stopping a few feet away, his stomach dropped at the frozen, horrified expression on the man's face. A familiar face which belonged to one of the people who left the island.

The plan of their escape failed.

Taking a step back, Mako tried not to turn green at the sight of the bloated body on the sand. He saw a dead body before, a relative who died in her sleep, but nothing so grotesque. From the nibbles on the skin, it seemed the fishes tried eating this person before giving up. Seaweed tangled around the limbs, sand coating any exposed skin, and evident bruises. Looking around the area, he saw parts of wood, but nothing to indicate any more signs of deceased bodies.

Collecting himself, he abandoned any idea of fishing for the day. The picture of this body would follow him throughout his day. He fished with relaxation in mind, not repeating images of a shocking sight in his brain. Trying to think of Kana, sweet, kind Kana, the image of this body intercepted, making him sigh.

"Well..." Mako saw the dead body of one the men who left before the storm hit the island. "That's unfortunate." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I have to tell the leaders about this. Can't leave this one alone on the beach without a burial. It's not like we can toss him back into the ocean."