Chapter 9

'The sun was shining brightly as Cuzo walked into the kitchen for breakfast in a jolly mood. He sat down on the table, where his mother put a plate of pancakes in front of him. "Morning," she said to him with a smile.

"Morning," he replied, picking up a fork. "These smell so good!"

His mother smiled as she went to fry some more for Malroy who was currently in the bathroom. Cuzo looked across the room at his older sister, who chewed happily on her morsel of toast with tea. She really loved acting like an adult.

"Mom told me she's going to punish you for last night," she smirked. "You're such a child, Cuzo."

"Am not," Cuzo said. "And besides, it was fun."

He shrunk in his chair when his mother sent him a deadly glare.

"Whatever," Janna laughed.

Cuzo glanced at his dad next, who he hadn't noticed was there, eating his own breakfast. He looked into his tea with a troubled expression. "Morning Dad," Cuzo said. "Didn't notice you there."

His dad did not respond. He didn't even look up at him. He continued his weary frown down at his tea.

"Dad?" Cuzo asked again.

"Leave him," his sister said. "He's probably wondering how to deal with his naughty students at school today. They always give him a hard time."

Cuzo returned his attention to his meal, but he was troubled now too. His dad never looked so upset or inattentive before. Was he angry at Malroy and Cuzo for scaring him last night? Cuzo wasn't used to the lack of attention, especially from his dad. Nevertheless, he continued his breakfast without saying anything more.

A while later, his sister's phone started ringing. "Oh, that's Shannon!" she said, skidding her chair back and grabbing her baseball cap from the table. "Gotta go. She hates it when I'm even a minute late." She ran to their mom and hugged her, "Bye mom!" she busted to the side of the table and grabbed her backpack, kissing their dad on the cheek on the way. "Bye dad." He jolted from his trance and smiled weakly at her. "Drive safely," he said, though his words slurred like he wasn't concentrating on what he was saying. His sister approached Cuzo last but he stopped her before she could get too close.

"Don't," he said, hand out to protect himself. She smirked and ruffled his messy hair instead.

"See ya, bro. Do well at basketball practice today!" She met Malroy at the kitchen door and squeezed him tight too, before running out the door, leaving behind a bewildered Malroy.

"God, I hate it when she does that," he sulked, walking up to the table. "Morning, Mom, Dad."

"Morning, hun," their mom said, putting his plate in front of him. "Don't let me catch you up at night again," she said when he yawned. "Now look. You didn't get enough sleep!"

"Sorry," Malroy said. "But it was Cuzo's idea."

"You're blaming me?" Cuzo said, aghast. "Fine, I won't play with you, then."

"No, hey! That's not what I meant!"

Their father abruptly stood up and walked toward the door, shrugging on his suit. "I'm leaving early," he said to their mom. "There are some study plans I want to review."

"But there are still hours before your classes start," she said. "Go a little later. Help me pack the boys' lunches."

"I need to go," their dad repeated, a little more quietly. "There's a lot to get done."

Cuzo saw their mother frown, but she nodded, walking over to their dad and slinging her hand around him. "You look stressed," she said. "Take it easy, Dian." Cuzo thought it was strange that their dad was avoiding looking at their mom. He shrugged her arm off with a weak smile.

"Don't worry about me," he said. "Bye."

He left the kitchen, their mother standing where he had just been moments before, a deep frown on her face. Cuzo knew by that expression that she felt something was wrong. She had given Cuzo that look whenever he was lying or hiding how he was really feeling.

Cuzo didn't have much time to care what was bothering her. He was suddenly interested in Malroy trying to break a piece of pancake off with much difficulty. He smirked and laughed at his brother's pathetic-ness, earning him a death glare from the younger boy.'