Chapter 17

'Cuzo slammed the wall of the alleyway, tears streaming down his face. He gritted his teeth hard, punching the wall again and again, yelling in rage. How could he have let this happen? She had been sleeping right beside him. How did he not notice Ersa missing from his side?

Malroy sniffled beside him, pulling his sleeves over his fingers to ward them from the autumn chill, before walking up and hugging Cuzo's back. The two had gone searching for their missing sister everywhere but to no avail.

Cuzo heard footsteps enter the alleyway and whipped his head back, knowing fairly well who it was. "Ryan!"

"Whoa, dude," Ryan exclaimed, alarmed. "What's with the... what happened?"

Cuzo ran over, tears as big as beads dripping down his cheeks. "It's Ersa," he explained. "She was sleeping right beside me last night but when Malroy and I woke up this morning, she wasn't there. We thought she might have wandered somewhere – for God knows what reason – so we asked people around if they saw her. No one has. I – Ryan, I think someone took her. Someone kidnapped her." Cuzo gulped in a huge breath. "I can't find her anywhere!"

Ryan frowned. "Let's tell the police," he said. "Come on." He grabbed Cuzo's wrist and pulled him forward, but Cuzo ripped his hand free.

"The police are useless!" he cried, angrily, tears continuing to fall. "They don't do a damn thing! They still haven't solved my dad's case and don't look like they intend to any time soon. They're the second reason why my life is like this right now!"

"But they have the resources to find your sister. Let's go now before it's too late." Ryan ran ahead but Cuzo did not follow. Ryan stopped. "Come on, Cuzo. Don't you want to find your sister? What if she's in danger?"

Cuzo pursed his lips. "I don't want to be turned down again," he muttered, Malroy walking up and grabbing his hand, staring at the floor, mute. "It'll hurt."

Ryan sighed quietly, and with understanding eyes, grabbed Cuzo's hand again. "I'm sorry. I know they failed to find your father, but this time is different. I mean, it wouldn't hurt to try, right? Let's go, Cuzo."

Cuzo reluctantly let Ryan pull him and the three boys ran to the police station. To Cuzo, it felt like Déjà vu. It had been the three siblings running to the police station four years ago the last time Cuzo had lost family members. Cuzo let Ryan do all the explaining, eyeing several police officers walking out of the station with nasty glares. They ignored his bitterness, perhaps thinking the young boy was giving them the glare because he was nervous to be there. He was, partly, but he was angry. He was disgusted with those blue-uniformed adults who claimed to be protecting and helping the city when all they did was enjoy authority.

"We'll send some men on it," the receptionist officer said. "Don't worry, we'll find your sister." He gave Cuzo a smile that did nothing to soothe him. If anything, it made him angrier that he could smile in a situation like this. He showed his spite by giving the officer the stink eye. Ryan led the brothers out of the station, hands on their shoulders. "Let's continue our own search," he said. "It's possible she had slept-walked or something."

"We're not going to find her."

Cuzo and Ryan looked down at Malroy, still staring at the ground, cheeks pink, eyes puffy.

"What do you mean?" Ryan asked. "Of course, we will. Have some hope, dude!"

"The last time this happened, we never found Dad again. He's lost forever. So is Ersa." He grabbed Cuzo's hand. "Maybe I'm next."

Cuzo's heart skipped a beat and he squeezed Malroy's hand. "You aren't leaving my side for a second, Malroy!" he gritted his teeth. "If you dare get lost, I'll kill myself."