Chapter 10

For reasons, the police managed to keep Malroy in custody for two more days. He had given them very scarce information about his and Cunning's past but it let Leroy make some conclusions. For one, Leroy had never known that their mom and sister had been murdered. The document had said deceased, but Malroy made it clear they had been killed. Why, and by whom, Malroy had not specified but it still gave away a huge chunk of reason to Leroy. Cunning's family had been murdered. That was probably why he had waged war against the act of killing and decided to get rid of murderers himself.

Leroy met Malroy in his cell, where he had been kept for the two days he was here. The officer leaned against a wall and looked down at Malroy, who sat at the edge of his cell's bed, lips pursed and eyebrows furrowed. He leaned forward with eyes to the ground, hands curled slightly to fists.

"I don't understand," he muttered. "I've told you what you wanted. Why am I still being kept here? I already told you I have nothing to do with my brother."

"Please relax," Officer Leroy smiled. "You haven't done anything wrong, and you aren't being arrested. There are just a few things we want to ensure before we let you go."

"Like?"

Leroy smiled. "Don't worry about it. Do you want to go out for fresh air? I understand cells can be a little suffocating."

Malroy turned his face away in quiet hostility. "No thanks. I just want to go back to my restaurant. This is going to cost me customers."

"We'll make up for your loss, Mr. Cunning," Leroy said, leaning off the wall. "For now, why don't you tell me why you and your brother hate the police so much?"

"I don't hate the police," Malroy said quickly, looking as if he had been accused of treason.

"You won't be arrested if you do," Leroy chuckled. "I understand folks get annoyed by the things we do, sometimes."

"I don't hate the police," Malroy repeated, quieter this time.

"You've been on edge since we brought you here. Forgive me, but I've noticed much hostility in your behavior." Malroy remained quiet. "How about Cuzo? Why doesn't he like the police?"

Malroy looked down. "I'm in no position to answer that. You'll have to ask him yourself. What's the purpose of this talk, officer, if I may?"

There was a knock at the door that prevented Leroy from answering. An officer opened the door. "There's a call for you."

Leroy raised an eyebrow and leaned off the wall. He gave a goodbye nod to Malroy and left the prison. The officer led him to the receptionist desk, where the officer there held a phone. "Who is it?" Leroy asked.

The receptionist officer shrugged. "All they said was that they wanted to speak to Officer Leroy."

The blonde officer took the phone and walked away to the side. "Hello? Officer Leroy here. How can I help you?"

"Let Malroy go." Cunning's voice was hoarse and threateningly low. Not like the usual loud and cocky voice Leroy was used to hearing.

"He's your accomplice, isn't he?" Leroy lied. "He's staying here for a lifetime, for all I know. You'll be joining him soon."

"He is not my accomplice!" Cunning's voice bore venom. "That bastard couldn't do a thing for me if I asked. He's worthless – does nothing but cook all day. How could he be my accomplice?"

"He's not going anywhere, Cunning. No matter what you say."

"Bastard, I'm warning you n-" A loud hiss sounded on his side of the phone like he had hurt himself. Leroy took the short break to turn to the officer walking up behind him.