Eight

Damon

They're coming after her. Those scummy Russians are coming after my baby. Somehow, word got out that Arella is with us and now the Russians are targeting her. There's only two ways world could've gotten out about Arella.

One, somebody saw Freya and her shopping the other day. Option two is even worse; somebody in our inner circle fed the information to the Russians.

My fists clench and unclench with frustration. I can tell I'm scaring my baby girl. She's staring at me with wide eyes while her bottom lip wobbles. Realizing what I'm doing, I take a deep breath and attempt to calm myself.

Freya watches me from her seated position on the couch. After I explained the whole conversation I just had with her pa, Arella woke up. From the moment she opened her eyes she's been looking at my rage.

That's not fair to her, so I reign it in. Relaxing my hands and shoulders, I lean over and pluck my baby girl from Freya's arms. She wraps her arms around my neck and presses her cheek against mine.

"I'm not angry with you, baby girl. I love you." I tell her.

She rubs her cheek against mine while using her right hand to play with my ear. All the while, Freya sits there with fear in her eyes. She's terrified of the Russians.

When our arranged marriage was proposed, if I were to decline Freya would've gone to Dimitri. He's a mean and cruel bastard. I may enjoy taking lives, but only to those who deserve it. Dimitri doesn't care who you are. He'll kill without mercy.

He's had it out for me ever since I married Freya. I keep ahead of him, always staying three steps ahead to protect my family. Our families have been on the brink of war for nearly twenty-five years now.

The threat he issued against Arella has now set that war into motion. I can already guarantee there's going to be losses on both sides.

My number one priority is to protect my family.

No way in hell am I letting that two pump chump of a man get his tainted hands anywhere near my family. I'll destroy him before he even gets close.

"You have to stop him, Damon. We can't loose her when we just got her." Freya begs, her green eyes wild and frantic.

"I'm not letting Dimitri anywhere near you guys. It's going to be okay." I reassure.

Freya nods and stands, rubbing her fingers under her eyes. She wraps her feminine arms around Arella and I, surrounding us in her soft vanilla smell.

"I'll take care of this." I vow, already plotting inside my head.

"I know you will. You always take care of us, but who takes care of you? I'm scared of one of your soldiers showing up, telling us you've been killed. That would kill me, Damon."

Freya squeezes me tighter, keeping Arella and I close.

"You take care of me. The boys take care of me. Arella takes care of me. All of you give me a reason to come home. You give me reason to fight just a little bit harder, aim a little straighter. That's something Dimitri will never have."

Cupping the back of her head, I lean down to kiss the black strands of her hair. She sighs into me, only to be distracted by Arella squealing.