Thirty-Four

Freya

"Can you try a little bite for Mama, please?" I try to prod Arella, holding a spoon full of sweetened oatmeal to her lips.

She turns her head away and pushes the spoonful of food towards me. Sighing with resignation, I toss the spoon back in the bowl and lean over to pick her up. My little baby is still feeling crappy after a dose of Tylenol.

I've been contemplating calling her doctor to do a home visit to make sure nothing is too serious. The only thing stopping me is I've been through this with the boys. They all got little colds when they were babies.

Arella nuzzles her face into my neck while I hold her with one hand, using the other to grab her bowl and drop it in the sink. Solid food is not getting into my baby today.

She didn't even try to snatch some of Alessandro's breakfast like usual. Instead, she chose to sit in my lap with her head resting on my chest.

Hell, Cerberus can't even manage to snag her attention. The beast is following the two of us around the house, sniffing and pawing at Arella's foot with concern. He knows his favorite tiny human isn't feeling well.

A pitiful wet cough sounds next to my ear, Arella hacking up phlegm. I pat her back as I climb the stairs. I think sitting in the steam room is going to help get some of that nasty stuff from her chest.

As I reach the second floor, Davide leaves his room and stares at his sister with pitiful eyes.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" He questions.

"If you want, you can put on your swim trunks and get the steam room started. I'm going to take her in there to help clear her airways from all the phlegm that she's coughing up."

He nods and rushes off to get changed while I get Arella into her nursery. She clings to me when I try to set her down on the changing table. Her deep blue eyes fill with tears and she whimpers.

"Mama is just going to take off your pretty dress and change your bum. I'm not leaving you." I keep my voice even and reassuring.

Her pink bottom lip pokes out, but she lets me sit her down. One quick change later, and we're headed back downstairs to where the steam room is. Davide and Gianni are sitting in there with their swimming trunks on.

I won't keep her in here for long. Ten minutes tops. I don't want her fever to rise again because I kept her in a hot room.

"Here, I'll take her, Mama." Gianni extends his arms and I shrug.

"If she'll go to you. She wouldn't even go to Papa this morning." I try to pass Arella over to her brother.

Like expected, she screeches and clings to the top of the swim suit I put on. Her single leg wraps around my stomach while her tiny nails dig into my skin. Fighting back a wince, I press her close to my body and sit on the deep brown bench in here.

"Okay, okay. I won't set you down. Mama has you." Rubbing her back in soothing circles, I slowly rock back and forth.

Arella's little body relaxes against mine and she slips her thumb in her mouth. Her head is resting against my breast, turned so she can see her brothers. She glares at Gianni while he makes faces at her.