Thirty-Nine

Freya

My ears are ringing and my head is throbbing. With blurry eyes I open them to see metal bent at all shapes all around us. As my hearing returns, I catch the tail end of yelling and the distinct sound of Arella screeching.

My baby is the one thing that makes me push my airbag out of the way and attempt to unbuckle my seatbelt. One look to my left shows that Damon is knocked unconscious. There's a large cut on his forehead that's rapidly turning into a bruise.

"Get the baby and the wife out of the car." A deep male voice states in Russian.

Oh god. Please no. I can't imagine what they'll do to Arella and I if they get us to a secondary location. My one saving grace in this situation is the metal of our car is bent to bits. It's not going to be easy to get us out.

I just need to buy some time for the boys to take them down. It takes me a minute to locate my buckle and by the way my ribs are screaming at me, I know I broke something.

That doesn't stop me from popping off my belt and twisting to look in the back. Alessandro is also passed out with one hand on Arella's chest and his gun held loosely in his hand.

His chest is rising up and down in even movements, so I know he's alive. My baby boy was even smart enough to cover his sister's seat with a blanket so the shattered glass didn't fall on her.

Carefully wiggling my way over the center console, I grimace with each small, sharp piece of glass that digs into my clothes. My body wavers to the side for a second as I struggle to push through my throbbing headache and aching bones.

It's a tight squeeze in the back. Alessandro isn't a small boy and the car seat is bulky as hell. Putting my hand on my son's shoulder, I give him a rough shake to try and wake him.

"Dro? Please, wake up. I need your help. They're going to get in the car. Please, son." I beg, tears forming in my eyes.

I get no response. That's okay. I can handle this. I was born and raised in this life. Although a woman and therefore kept from training with the men, I do know how to use a gun.

Pulling the weapon from Alessandro's limp hand, I check that the safety is off and aim it at the broken window. It's not big enough to pull me out of, as the shape was distorted in the wreck. It is big enough to pull Arella out of, though.

Pulling the blanket off my baby girl, I see her bright red and screaming her head off. Besides where the straps kept her secure in the wreck, she seems otherwise unharmed.

Cupping her cheek, I rub my thumb across her cherub cheek, accidentally leaving a red smudge of my blood across her skin.

"Shhh. It's okay. Mama's going to make sure we're okay. Brother's are coming any time now." I try to reassure her, but in reality I'm trying to reassure myself.

They should be here by now. Unless there was a second car that hit them too. Fear strikes as I think about my children. What if they're knocked out in their own car somewhere?

I try not to think about that as I listen to the sounds of crunching glass next to our smashed car. They're coming.

Raising the gun, I point it towards the window and take a deep breath. As soon as a face appears, I don't think, I just shoot. Blood splatters and Arella's screeches get louder.