Thirty-Five

Damon

"Can you take her today? I know that I'm asking a lot of you, but you're doing legit work today. None of the dangerous crap. I just want a day to myself that's not spent changing diapers and wiping noses." Freya questions in a whisper.

She wants me to take Arella to work with me today. The baby is almost over being sick and it took a toll on my wife. I worked almost everyday that my little girl was sick, so Freya got stuck with the brunt of it.

My wife doesn't have to beg, though. I would happily take Arella to work with me. Well, as long as I'm spending the day at the office. No way in hell am I ever going to bring her to the kennels or on a stakeout.

Turning over to my side in bed, I open my arms in invitation. Freya takes the opportunity and scoots into my awaiting arms. Laying her head on my chest, she gently uses her finger to run down the scar from when I was shot.

"I will happily take Arella with me. You deserve a day to yourself too. Go get your nails done, have some brunch with your girls. Spend as much money as you like. Anything for you." I mumble, breathing in my wife's soft scent.

She hums contently while continuing to stroke my scar. A wrinkle forms in her forehead after a moment and she tenses.

"What's wrong, love?"

Hesitantly, she lifts her head so our eyes meet. "I feel guilty when I need some spare time away from the kids."

Her confession is quiet and somewhat forced, like she had to build herself up to saying the words out loud. But there's no need for her to feel guilty about telling me her feelings.

It's understandable that she gets overwhelmed with Arella sometimes. Taking care of a toddler is hard work, but taking care of a special needs toddler is even harder.

"Don't feel bad for needing a break, love. If you ever feel like you need time, just tell me that. I'll take Arella when possible. Hell, you can even hand her off to one of the boys. The love their little sister and like spending time with her."

While I talk, I stroke my wife's hair and back, the silky strands smooth beneath my tattooed hand.

Freya chuckles mirthlessly and let's her head fall back down to my chest.

"Yeah, like that's actually going to work. Arella is attached to my hip when you're not around. She won't go with any of her brothers if I'm not in the room."

"Maybe it's time to let her cry it out. It seems harsh, but she can't always be with one of us. She needs to learn that she's safe with her brothers." I suggest, knowing that Freya is going to hate it.

"No way am I letting her be emotionally distressed just to take some alone time. I'll figure something out." She waves her hand through the hair, a clear signal that she's done talking about this.

Good timing too because I can hear the baby starting to wake up. She's still sleeping in her toddler bed in our room. We're just lucky she's no longer trying to sleep in our bed. Cerberus is to blame for that one.

He wiggles his big bodied self into bed with her. That's enough to keep Arella sleeping in her own bed at night.

When Freya makes a move to stand to get the baby, I stop her and stand instead. Arella is rubbing her eyes and sucking on her pacifier when I get to her.