Eleven

Freya

Several more loud shots ring through the house, signaling a shootout that I'm not able to witness. They're in our bedrooms. My body jumps with each loud bang.

I'm trying to be brave for Arella. She's still holding my hands tight to her ears while rocking in my lap. Her eyes are bloodshot and red from her tears.

A twist forms in my stomach and chest. Was it the right thing for Damon and I to bring her into this life? We put a target on her head bringing her here with us.

A part of me doesn't regret it, though. As I stare down at Arella's angelic face, all I can think about is that she's mine. It may be selfish. No, it is selfish. I just can't seem to find enough regret.

The house falls quiet after the last gunshot. No voices come through the other side of the phone. Immediately the worst comes to mind. My husband and oldest baby are dead.

I cover my mouth to stifle my cries. It feels like my heart is being shredded. Like a big piece of myself is now gone.

"Dad? Andrea?" Gianni asks through a whisper into the phone.

One second. Two. Three.

"We're here." Damon's rough voice finally responds.

My mouth opens on a gasping breath. They're safe.

"We're coming down to you now." Andrea announces.

I watch them exit Alessandro's room through the cameras, spilling out into the hallway. My son is limping with Damon supporting him with his arm around Andrea's waist.

He's hurt. I scan the cameras to try and find where he's injured. The bottom of his suit pants catches my eye. The fabric is ripped along the side towards his ankle.

Andrea looks up towards the camera and says into the phone, "It's just a graze, Mama. I'm okay. Stings like a bitch, though."

Damon claps him on the shoulder, clearly proud of him. Those two have a penchant for killing. It's something they're good at. While I don't like them bonding over murdering people, preferring they bond over something normal like football, I also realize that it keeps them alive.

It's kill or be killed in this world.

After what feels like eternity, the boy's finally make it to the safe room door. I know the protocol. Don't open the door even if you know it's family.

So, we wait for Damon to put his hand on the scanner and type in the code. Several large clicks sound, signaling the bolts releasing.

The door slowly swings open, revealing Damon, Andrea, and our men looking worse for wear. I could care less if they're covered in other people's blood.

I jump up with Arella in my arms, rushing straight into Damon and Andrea's awaiting arms. They smell like sweat and the metallic tang of blood. I could care less.

I squeeze them tightly with Arella snug in between us. She wiggles and whimpers, trying to use Damon's shirt to climb onto his body. He takes her from my arms, pressing several kisses to her face.

"Daddy's got you, baby girl. You're safe." He closes his eyes, holding her tight to his body.

I'm not sure if he realized his slip up. That's the first time he's called himself daddy when speaking to Arella. The very first time. He seems too lost in the moment to have made the connection.

The rest of the boys come over, clapping Andrea on the back. All except Alessandro. He stops in front of his oldest brother, reaches up to scratch his own head, and puts his hand on Andrea's shoulder for exactly three seconds.