Twenty-Six

Gianni

"This thing is fucking hideous." Dad complains for the thousandth time, staring at himself in the mirror.

He looks like an overstuffed bean bag with the bullet proof vest he's wearing. I'm trying really hard not to laugh at him, trust me I am, but he really does look comical.

"I can see you over there laughing, Gianni. Don't make me cut your head allowance." Dad snaps.

That shuts me right up.

"Don't bitch at me because you're upset. It's not my fault you got shot and now Mom's making you wear this thing." Shrugging, I plop down on his bed.

Arella crawls over to me and taps me on my arm, pointing to Dad. I lift her up and throw her back down to the bed, fake wrestling with her. She belly laughs while I put her in a fake headlock.

"Whoop his ass, sissy!" Davide yells, whooping and throwing his fist in the air.

Rolling onto my back, I place Arella on my chest while she slaps my cheek. Her slaps really do hurt. Nobody talks about how strong toddlers are.

"Tap out, Gianni!" Dad calls, leaning against the wall with a smirk on his face.

"Never!" I bellow, gently tapping Arella on her side.

She falls onto the bed and scrambles back on top of me, slapping my chest. Everybody is cheering her on while my chest slowly turns red under the force of her slaps.

Dramatically groaning, I roll over onto my side and tap the bed three times in surrender. The baby beat me again.

"We have a victor! Miss Arella wins the lightweight toddler champs!" Dad grabs the baby, tossing her in the air and catching her.

Mom chooses that exact moment to enter the room. Her smiling face contorts into a frown as she approaches Dad's side.

Ooo. She's going to whoop his ass. I can't wait to witness this. All I need is some popcorn and I'll be good. Maybe if I text Alessandro he'll bring me some.

With her hands on her hips, Mom proceeds to berate Dad, "How many times do I have to tell you, Damon? Stop lifting and tossing the baby!"

Dad has the gull to look ashamed, passing Arella off to Mom. She gives the baby a kiss on her cheek and carries her out of the room. Though she does leave Dad with a swift smack on the back of the head before exiting.

"Dude, your wife is badass." Davide nods to himself, acting like he isn't talking about our mother.

"Watch how you speak about your mom." Dad demands, adding on at the end, "And don't call me dude. I'm Dad or Papa."

Snickering behind my hand, I leave the room to go and search for Mom. I find her in Arella's room, getting the baby ready for the day.

"Look at that belly, chunky butt. You're getting so chunky." Mom tickles Arella's belly after finishing taping up her diaper.

It might seem creepy, but I like standing here and watching Mom without her knowing. She was so depressed after the baby died, often staying in bed all day. She's been a totally different person since Arella came along.