Chapter 28

"UGH...What time is it??" I said while yawning.

I had fallen asleep at Aiden's bedside. I didn't bother to actually check the time but it was probably around close to midnight.

"Hey Aiden," I called.

"Yea..."

"You know that you're probably not going to be able to play for the rest of the season, right?" I asked/informed him.

"Eh. It's okay. I'll be fine by the time the winter season comes around," he responded.

"Winter??" I said, confused.

"Come on Andrew. You've been going to Belden longer than I have and you're telling me that you didn't know that soccer is a fall, winter, and spring sport," he said to me sarcastically.

"Umm...Well that's probably something I should've known...but...umm...I...ah..."

"Oh shut it. Don't bother trying to make up some excuse," he said to me laughing.

"You know what Aiden, I'll have you know..."

"AIDEN!" I was interrupted by a feminine voice.

"Are you alright?!"

"Yea Mom. I'm fine," Aiden said, all embarrassed.

Aiden's mom turned to me and said, "Oh, and you must be Andrew."

"Yea, that's me," I confirmed.

"Aiden's told me so much about you and how he looks up to and admires you," She said.

"I do not. Stop embarrassing me Mom," Aiden interjected.

"Well now that your mom is here, I'm going to go home with my mom now, Aiden," I told the boy.

My mom had arrived at the hospital some time ago. I've been keeping her waiting as I told her I wasn't leaving until Aiden did.

"Yea, that's cool."

"See you at school tomorrow," I said.

"Well, I don't know about that but..." he said.

"I hope you feel better, dude. See ya," I said, turning and heading out of the room.

"ANDREW! WAIT!"

"Yea. What's up?" I snapped around and asked.

"Thank you."

It seems the boy was full of surprises today. First, he apologized to me. Now he's thanking me. It was unfamiliar territory, that's for sure.

"Um...Yea...You're welcome...No problem..." I stuttered.