Chapter 14

*PHEWW!!!!!!!! PHEWWWWWW!!!!!!!!*

The game had started. Our opponents started with the ball and were pushing into our territory. I ran around watching how they played. After only five minutes or so I had a pretty good idea of how they played.

"Jake! Cover twenty-three! Don't let him even see the ball!" I ordered.

It felt weird, ordering someone around like that, but I was captain now. It was my duty and role on the team.

"Jason! Go right!"

"As you wish. Captain..." he responded sarcastically.

"Max. Juan! You two go left."

Max was another one of our team mates and he was playing left mid.

"Aye captain," Juanito replied.

"Alex! Go up the middle with me."

I turned to my right and saw Alex nod at me.

"Don't get too close to me though!"

I ran up the field, closing in on the player with the ball. I fought for the ball, trying to wrestle the ball from his feet. I matched every move he made. He had nowhere to go. He messed up and let his concentration and focus slip for a moment and I swiped the ball from him.

"ALEX!" I yelled to get his attention as I passed the ball to him.

"Go! Move up!" I ordered him.

I turned to Lucas and yelled, "You've got the goal, right?!"

I nodded and gave me a thumbs up.

"Jayden. Jake's keeping twenty-three marked. I need you up here with me!"

"Got it!" he said without any hesitation.

Within seconds he had caught up to Alex and I. Everything was coming together. I just wish I didn't have to pull Jayden from defense.

"Alex! The ball!"

He had two players closing in on him. Even with his small size and superb ball control, he couldn't get past them alone. He passed the ball to me.

"Jayden. Get it to Max!" I told him as I passed him the ball.

"Are we doing tha..." he begun to ask.

"Yes"

We were about to make are first attempt to use the new tactic we were working on in a real game. We called it "Cross Fade." Jason, was unfortunately and integral part of the tactic. Jason and Juan would go up the field, one down each sideline. One person would go with Jason and Juan would go alone. Three of us would go down the middle, passing the ball around until we were two thirds the way down the opponent's side of the field. At that point, one person from the middle would take the ball to Jason and the rest "fade away," or fallback, to our side of the field. The two players moving up with Jason make sure he gets the ball. As soon as Jason has the ball, he passes it to Juanito. Jason was the only one on the team that could consistently, accurately, and effectively, pass the ball to Juan while ensure that the ball stayed in play and in our possession. Once the ball was in the air, the three ran in towards the goal. Juan would fake a shot and pass the ball to one of the three in the middle, who would then either pass to one of the other to or take the shot himself. We planned and practiced this for two weeks in the summer and were about to find out if its craziness would work in a real game.

"Max!" Jayden called as he passed the ball to Max.

"Jason!" Max called, passing to Jason.

"Now Jason! Cross Fade!" I yelled out.

As I fell back, I watched and waited to see if "Cross Fade" ended in disaster or with us taking the lead.

*PHEWWWWWW!!!!!!!!*

Jayden had scored! We had scored a goal! I ran over to Jacob full of excitement and hugged him for a second.

I stood in front of him with my hands on his shoulders and said, "Jake! It worked! IT ACTUALLY WORKED! WE SCORED!"

"YEA!" he said in response.

After that, we all returned to are starting positions, and the game continued.

By the end of the first half, we had managed to score three goals and Lucas had blocked two shots.

*PHEWWWWWW!!!!!!!! PHEWWWWWW!!!!!!!!*

The referee blew the whistle indicating that first half was over. We all walked off the field and headed to the bench to get some well deserved water.

"Alright everyone, listen up. That was a good first half. I was unsure if 'Cross Fade' would even be practical in a real game scenario, but we made it work! We scored three goals using it. In the second half I want us to put pressure on their offense. Number twenty-three seems to be their star player. Matt, I want you cover him specifically for the entire half. Don't let him touch the ball. Don't let him out of your sight. The rest of us are going to make sure they don't get an opportunity to score. We're not going to go on the offensive unless a good opportunity presents itself. I want us to protect out lead. Jayden? Is it okay if you don't play goal for the second half?"

"So Lucas is going to be staying in the goal?" he asked.

"No. Coach, is it alright if I play in the goal for the second half?" I asked.

"Andrew, it seems to me that you've got everything under control. If you think you should be playing in the goal, then by all means, go right ahead," Coach Shiller answered.

"In that case, Lucas, I'm sorry but you'll be sitting out this half. Jayden, you'll be in defense again."

"YOU want to be keeper?! Jayden and I both have way more experience than you!" Lucas questioned, seemingly disgusted at the idea.

"I know. I'm not worried though. Besides, you'll be here on the bench. If I feel I can't handle being in the goal, then you can sub in for me and I'll switch back to midfield."

"Ugh...Whatever. I guess that could work," he conceded.

"Well it's decided then. There's not much time left before the second half starts, so I need to go get changed. Just rest and drink some water. Make sure to hydrate yourselves."

It was a much better speech than my pre-game pep talk, but now and with very little time left before the second half was to begin, I grabbed my bag and ran to the locker room. I swapped my blue uniform for my red one. It took a couple of minutes but I managed to make it back just in time for the start of the second half. I ran out to my spot on the field, this time as keeper and captain. I stood in front of the goal, waiting for the referee to blow the whistle; once again, I stood grasping and holding on to the band around my left arm.

"I'm the keeper now. I'm the captain. I can do this. The team is counting on me protect this goal and lead them. I can do this!" I whispered under my breath, reassuring myself.

*PHEWWWWWW!!!!!!!!*