Chapter 12

It was 8:30 AM when I woke up the next day. Today was Saturday, the day of my first soccer game of the season. At my last practice, which was on Tuesday, Coach Shiller told us that the club, Belden Falls Soccer Club, managed to somehow get our team's game booked at the school's stadium at 10:30 AM. The club is usually almost never able to get the stadium for any of the clubs games and we've never played on that field before so, it was going to be a lot of fun as well as a new challenge. Coach also told me that I would be captain. I didn't have a captain's armband, so I went out and bought one. As captain, I had to focus on the game and the team. They were expecting me to lead them. I was still wrapped up by Connor running off for a second time, but I tried to brush it off as I couldn't let what was going on between Connor, Josh, and I, cloud my mind or judgment. I had to make sure I made a good impression so that Coach Shiller wouldn't regret making me captain.

I got out of bed, wearing only a pair of white compression shorts. I walked over to my dresser. There was a special drawer where I kept my soccer uniform, as it meant a great deal to me. I slide open the draw to reveal my uniforms. Our uniforms were a royal blue color and manufactured by Adidas. The keeper's uniform was red. I took my red uniform, along with my goalie gloves, out of the drawer and shoved them into my sports bag that was sitting on the ground next to my dresser. I always brought my red uniform with me last season, just in case Coach Shiller ever needed me to play goalie for some reason, and there was no reason to stop doing that now. After I packed the uniform in my bag I took my blue cleats, shorts, socks, and jersey out of the drawer. I picked up my bag, brought it over to my bed and sat down. I slid my shorts on. Then I strapped my shin guards on and pulled the long blue socks over them. I picked up my jersey and held it in front of me so I can see it. On the front, were the words "Belden Falls Soccer Club," surrounding a small soccer ball on one side of the chest area of the shirt. I spun my jersey around so I could see the back of it. I sat there, staring proudly and my jersey. My last name was centered at the top of the backside of my jersey. Centered below it was my number, seven.

"Neely," I proudly exclaimed to myself, reading aloud what was printed on the back of my jersey.

"Number seven!"

I spun the shirt back around again and pulled it over my head. Then I just sat there, thinking I forgot to put something on.

"Right! My armband!"

I reached into my bag and took out the yellow armband I had bought. I stretched the elastic out and slide it up my left arm, stopping when it was around the sleeve of my jersey. The armband wasn't too tight nor too loose. It fit just right. I stood up and walked over to my closet mirror and looked at myself.

"Damn I look good," I said to myself, as I looked in the mirror.

I slid my slide onto my feet and grabbed my bag. As I walked out of the room, I glanced at the clock. It was already 9:15 AM! I spent forty-five minutes getting dressed and I still had to eat and pick up Joshua. I ran down the stairs to my kitchen. I rummaged through the shelves and found a box of cereal. I scoffed down three bowls of cereal and milk.

My mom looked at me like I was crazy and asked, "Eating a little fast there, don't you think?"

I just shrugged it off and reminded her that we have to pick Joshua up. It was already 9:35 AM. I hurried my mom out the door and we headed over to pick Joshua up.

After fifteen minutes of driving we finally arrived at Joshua's house. It was a white two story house, with a tall chimney. The house had a covered front porch and a two car garage. I opened up the car door and got out. I ran down the paving stone pathway to the steps of the porch, finally stopping at the front door. I reached up and pushed the door bell.

*DING DONG! DING DONG!*

A few moments later, Josh came and answered the door.

"Josh, are you ready to go?" I asked him impatiently.

"Yea man," he answered, checking out my uniform.

"I didn't know you were a captain," he said to me, pointing at my arm band.

"Yea, Coach Shiller chose me as captain this season," I answered, gesturing that we had to leave.

"We have to go," I exclaimed impatiently.

The two of us walked back to my mom's car and got inside it.

"So this is Joshua?" my mom asked me.

"Yes, Mrs. Neely," Josh answered for.

"Just drive mom! I'm the captain! I! CAN! NOT! BE! LATE!" I demanded impatiently.

My mom giggled at my obsessiveness and drove off.