New Temporary Sheriff

3 months ago
Bursting through the front door of the Kleinsasser household I felt tears starting to fall down my face with heavy footsteps following me. "Mal, Mal wait. My daddy will shoot you if he catches you here. I'm not supposed to have girls out here this late." John Wayne exclaimed.

Spinning on my feet I removed his hat from my head throwing it in the mud at my feet croaking out snarky. "I don't care what you're daddy says, John Wayne. It's not like he doesn't already know about us. Hell he knew about my sister and Blake!"

"That's different, my brother was bringing a bunch of girls back here. You're the only girl I've brought back here, Mallory." He stands in front of me reaching forward to touch my cheek.

But I pulled his cowboy hat out of the mud, throwing it harshly into his chest. "Suck it cowboy. I'm leaving and never coming back after what you did to that girl!"

"What girl, Mallory?" He asked trying to play dumb. But I had talked with his sister and she told me everything.

"Rosie, you dumbass!" Yanking my truck door opened I struggled to just start sobbing right in front of him. "I never should have let you have my heart because you abused an innocent girl and blamed it on your brother."

John Wayne rushed forward as I closed the door trying to stop me. "Mallory!" But I slammed on the gas leaving that ranch for good.

Entering the bar I sighed, needing a beer since I couldn't sleep still remembering John Wayne getting shot right in front of my eyes by his own sister. From that night that I broke up with him I decided that my sister would check out any guy I was interested in. Because I fell for certain guys too easily until most broke my heart. The bartender slides me a beer until someone cleared their throat. "What's a darlin' like you sitting here all alone for?"

"Who says I'm alone. You don't think I have a boyfriend?" I snarked back, turning my focus to the stranger that has dark brown hair and eyes.

He holds his hands up in surrender, getting fluttered. "I didn't mean to offend you darlin. I'll go and let you enjoy your evening."

"Sit down darlin.." I broke out into a fit of giggling where he glanced over his shoulders confused. "I don't have a boyfriend so you can take the seat next to me."

The guy sits down as I rest my chin in the palm of my hand staring at him. He ordered a beer while I took a long sip of mine trying to not blush that I found him instantly attractive and I didn't shy away from that accent he had. "So stranger can I get a name or do I just keep calling you darlin'?" I chuckled with a grin.

"Where are my manners? Beau Arlen and you are?" He extended his hand that I grasped in a simple shake.

His eyes locked on mine smiling. "Mallory, Mallory Cessna."

Beau raised his beer up and I clicked mine with him sharing the same smile. Tapping my fingers of my freehand on the countertop I mentally fight myself to not get attached to him. "So what brings you to Montana, Beau?"

"Funny you should ask, I'm actually stepping in for the sheriff job for a little while." He replied, sitting his drink down.

I started coughing on my beer hitting my chest as it went down my throat harshly. "You're the sheriff...woah you're in for a world of hurt buddy."

"Why's that, Mallory?" He asked curiously.

Throwing my head back I could only imagine what my sister would do to him when they first met. She wasn't known to follow the rules...like ever. "Watch out for Jenny Hoyt."

Beau nodded, taking a sip of his beer laying down some money paying for both our drinks. His eyes falling down to the police officer badge on my belt loop. "Thanks for the tip. Can I ask why and how you know her if you don't mind me asking?"