What Am I To Him

5 years ago

John Wayne was off helping his father with something, leaving me to sit out on the front porch of the caretaker's cabin by myself until he came back. Hugging my knees to my chest I was wearing one of his spare jackets since it was cold tonight. "What's a pretty thing like you doing on our property?"

Lifting my head up from my knees I saw a figure in the dark until my eyes adjusted seeing it was his brother Rand. "You're brother invited me over but got called to help by your daddy." JW said he preferred to be out here by himself late like this.

"Well if that's a lie then you're a trust passer on our land." He smirked, swinging his ax around in his hands. "Here I was thinking' Blake already had a girl. I guess I can't blame him for wanting two at a time."

Rolling my eyes I didn't want to talk about my sister with him. I could care less who she dated and what she did with them. Blake was good from what I had seen but he wasn't going to make his father happy unless he took over the ranch. "It's not Blake, I'm here with JW actually."

"So you've got a thing for cowboys huh. Well I bet I can rock your little world better than he can." He smirked quickly running up the stairs, securing his arms around my waist. I stumbled backwards, getting trapped in between him and the wall.

Struggling against his grip he had me caged in while he started to remove my jacket. "Rand, let me go!" I grunted not having as much muscles as him so he was able to remove my jacket but before he could tear my shirt he smirked, shoving his lips onto mine.

"Don't act like you don't enjoy this. I'll call you darlin' if you like that." He teased in my ear whispering low with me squirming underneath him until a gunshot rang behind us.

Rand slightly pulled away from me allowing me the chance to see his brother standing in the headlights of the rover holding his shotgun. "Get off her, Rand or I'll shoot you where you stand."

"Awe come on, bro. I was showing your girl a good time." He slumped his shoulders watching JW slowly walk up the stairs aiming the shotgun at him until he separated from me.

John Wayne glared at his brother until he headed off back to where he came from. He slowly sat the shotgun down staring at me. "You alright, Mal. He didn't hurt you too bad did he?"

Wrapping my arms around myself I noticed my shirt was slightly torn but other than that he didn't really do much. "He didn't hurt me, JW. Thank you for protecting me though. I didn't think you'd be back."

"I got done early and then I heard your screaming coming this way." He responded by pulling me into a hug. Wrapping my arms around his neck I laid my head on his chest sighing in relief. "Don't you worry, Mallory. A cowboy will always protect you."

Starting to enter the sheriff station my phone rang off in my pocket. Answering it I didn't bother looking at the caller ID just pressing it to my ear. "This is detective Mallory, who is this?"

"Oh and here I was thinking you wouldn't have forgotten your girlfriend, Mal." I recognized the voice of the last living Kleinsasser child, Cheyenne.

Leaning against the stone wall I held my phone up to my ear with my shoulder. My hair was completely loose down my shoulders not expecting her to be calling me or heck even have my number still. We haven't talked since she killed JW. "Hey a hey, what exactly are you calling about this time? Also how did you get my number? I thought you and I agreed to not talk to each other anymore."

"I kept your number in my phone and there's something we need to talk about at the ranch. Are you free to come by today?" She asked me through the phone.