Chapter 14: In His Office

The simple visual of the minute hand pointing towards twenty-five, in contrast to the hour hand laying on the number nine, made Eira's nervousness soar.

She had five minutes left.

And, she'd been debating whether to go or not as she fidgeted with the hem of her satin nightie during the past hour.

'What if he gets angry I disobeyed him?'

'What could be the consequences?'

All these thoughts troubled her mind, under so much pressure she felt she could burst. 

But, a flare lit up in Eira's soul. She's always cared about the consequences. It was time to stop stressing out herself, and she made the decision to go to the Crown Prince and hear what he had to say.

If she dared ask him the question that had been on the tip of her tongue earlier, she should not be afraid to hear the answer.

She stood up, changed into a floor-length, white cotton dress with slits on the sides.

She wore her sandals as quick as she could and saw the time on the clock. It was close to nine thirty.

"I better get going," She muttered to herself.

A knock sounded on the door of her bedroom. Nargis appeared in front of her when she opened it.

"Sorry to disturb you, Eira. You've being called by Princess Huma," She spoke in a soft tone.

"Thank you, Nargis," Eira gave her a polite smile.

Thank, Lord.

She was saved from entering the lion's den.

She swiftly made her way towards the third floor, after receiving clear directions from Nargis on where Princess Huma's room was at.

As she approached the golden door at the far end, she saw it was not exactly closed. She could hear very familiar voices inside as she halted in her steps.

"I don't want to go," Princess Huma's voice was downcast.

The response was faint on the other side and Eira had to lean in to listen.

She didn't want to eavesdrop, but her curiousness was at its peak after hearing Princess Huma's  afflicted tone.

She was mostly a cheery person and Eira wanted to know the reason behind her hurting voice.

"Out of all people, Raed, I can't believe you're telling me this," Huma exclaimed in distress.

"It's our duty, Humi. We don't have any choice," Raed spoke calmly while trying to sound convincing.

"We?" Huma scoffed, "YOU don't have any choice. I can choose. I'm not the Crown Prince!"

Silence stretched on the other side and then his voice was deep as he replied,

"You're not. But, you have responsibilities. Huge ones. And, you know them very well. I hope you think this through and then you can speak to Baba,"

They stopped talking and Eira feared the door would open in her face. So, she knocked on loudly.

After a while, Raed was at the door. He looked stunned in a white thobe, his dark hair perfectly contrasting against the light color of the clothes, making him appear so radiant and handsome.

He discreetly got out of the room as the door was still open.

"Did you come here looking for me?" He asked in a low voice so only Eira would hear him.