IV

Today was Easter Sunday, and Janien had to lead the choir this morning for morning service. Janien rolled over to turn her iPhone alarm off when a notification from Bryce caught her attention.

𝐁𝐫𝐲𝐜𝐞
- I know we ain't been talking, but I'm coming to church today to hear you blow that mic ☺️.

Janien blushed, as she read the message from the locked screen. She let out a happy sigh, before rolling over and getting out of bed.

Janien then went to her closet to set out her Easter dress, along with her white flat church shoes, placing it on her bed.

She then slipped on her bedroom slippers, before walking to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for her and August.

The church was crowded for Easter Sunday today. Everyone sported their bright colors and new hairdos.

Since Rev. Joshua was in Jerusalem for a couple of months, Ms. Evans's husband Rev. Ricky Evans was the fill-in.

" We are gathered here today " Was the last thing Janien heard before she lost her focus from the preaching.

Bryce and his mother snuck in quietly through the side door of the church, causing a few heads to turn.

a small smile plastered Janien face, before waving at Bryce. Today he wore a light pink button-up dress shirt, with khaki pants, and light brown dress shoes. His hair was freshly twisted, and his beard was trimmed.

" Now we will have a selection from the youth Choir " Rev. Evans announced, as he handed gestured the choir to rise.

Ms. Evans handed Janien the Microphone before she went back to playing the piano.

After the Keynote was heard, Janien cleared her throat and began singing.

" you sounded great today " A woman complimented Janien, as she stood by the exit plastering a great smile.

" you were ight " August Joked, as she stood on the other side of the exit ushering for the church.

The two began ushering at a young age. Carolyn made sure her daughters always played a role in her father's old church. If they weren't ushering, they were sectarians or cleaning.

" you did good ma " Bryce smiled, as his tongue glided across his bottom lip.

" Thank you " Janien smiled, as she felt her face getting hot from blushing.

" whatchu doing today? " Bryce asked, as he slid out of Ms. Evans's way.

" Now you girls get home safe na, your mother wants me to make sure of that " Ms. Evans Assured the girls, as Janien and August forced a smile.

" I don't know " she shrugged, as Bryce smacked his lips.

" come chill with me then " he suggested, as August cleared her throat.

" won't be having my sister in no shoot-outs" August mugged him, causing him to smack his teeth at her.

" You act like I knew they were coming or some shit " He cursed, as he realized he was in church making him instantly ask God for forgiveness.

" Plus, your sister is grown.. she doesn't need anyone to talk for her " Bryce said, as he looked at Janien for assurance.

" slide through later ight? " Bryce said, as Janien gently nodded her head.

August blew her breath, before walking off and getting into the car. She didn't understand why her sister was following up on Bryce, after what he had done endangered her life. Although August Cared for her sister, she couldn't stress about it, knowing that she had her own life to depend on.