XIV

The concrete pavement burned the bottom of August's feet as she walked down the sidewalk of her grandmother's lawn. She stepped onto the porch and hesitated to ring the bell, but before she could reach it, Michelle had already answered the door. " Oh my! where are your clothes?" Michelle was startled as she grabbed August's arm, quickly getting her into the house.

" August?" Joshua knitted his eyebrows confusingly, " What happened to you!?"

" Carolyn is what happened," August exasperated as she sighed heavily. " We got into an argument, and she threw me out," August said as she gently grabbed clothes out of Michelle's hand.

" That heffa can't do that!" Grandpa Joe fussed.

" Aye, watch your mouth, Joe,'' Joshua said sternly, " after all, that's still my wife" he sighed deeply as he sat back on the couch.

" Ha, name on the house?" Joe asked.

" No--

" Then she doesn't have the right to kick your daughter out of your house!" Joe declared.

" Joe, be foreal, Carolyn has many rights just as Joshua does; she had reasonings for what she did...but she could have gone on about it a different way," Michelle voiced, as Joshua nodded in agreement.

" Mhmm, you just let that old hag control you. "Joe shook his head, " Son, I raised you better than this...You are letting this woman take everything you have."

August sighed. She knew how her grandfather and father get when things like this are brought up. " I'm going to get a shower," August dismissed herself, carrying the clothes into the bathroom.

--

Valerie placed her phone on the charger before putting it on her nightstand. " Ugh.." she groaned as she turned over in bed, holding her stomach. " I'm so-

"Here's your food" Bryce swung the door open, throwing her a bag of chick fila on the bed.

Bryce then sat at the edge of the bed, with his face buried into his hands. "What's your problem?" Valerie frowned as she grabbed a waffle fries out of the bag. Bryce sighed deeply as his leg bounced up and down.

" Bry, what's wrong?" Valerie asked as she kneeled on the bed behind him, throwing her arms around his neck.

Bryce snatched away from Valerie, making her almost fall off the bed.

" BRY, WHAT IN THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

"Look, if anyone comes looking for me, I'm not here, okay!" Bryce panicked as he paced back in forth through the room.

"What did you do now?" Valerie worried as she shook her head.

"Don't worry about it, okay? Just do what I fucking say!" Bryce fumed as he banged his hand against the wall.

Valerie held her stomach as she carefully got off of the bed. She slid into her Ugg slippers and grabbed her Coach Crossbody purse, throwing it on her shoulder. She then grabbed her phone off the charger and walked out of the room.

" where are you going?" Bryce followed behind her, grabbing her hand.

" Let go of me, Bryce! All I asked was what was wrong, and you yelled at me and almost made me fall," Valerie said, growing emotional.

" Val, I'm sorry; please come back in," Bryce's voice crackled as he pulled her closer to him; please don't leave me.

Valerie shook her head and pulled away from him, " I can't stay here, Bryce; I think we need a break," She sniffed as she opened the door. Valerie looked back at Bryce, who was standing in utter silence.