VI

August walked down the crowded hallway of Carter Academy, while her head hung low. She wore her blue Carter Academy uniform shirt with khaki pants, and she sported her white and blue dunks. It felt a little weird today, as she had some coming out to do to her best friend and peers around her.

August hated putting on this fake persona. She wanted to feel and be authentic, hoping her loved ones would accept her for who she was.

" you look nice today," Jayson winked as he bit down his bottom lip. August smiled as she waved at him and continued down the hallway.

Jayson has always been the flirtatious type, especially when it came to August.

"Welcome in," Mrs. Easely greeted at the classroom door. " how are you doing this morning, Aug? " she asked, as her smile turned into a concerning look once she saw August wasn't her usual loud and happy self.

" doing great," August Nodded as she sat in the front of the classroom. Lynn, August best friend, knitted her eyebrows in confusion as she realized August didn't notice her today.

" Alright, class, let's take our seats and open up our think-pads," Ms. Easley instructed while glancing over at August.

" Are you sure you're alright? " Easely noticed August's legs bobble up and down rapidly, indicating that something was bothering her.

" Why are you acting differently? " A student whispered, causing August to lie on her desk. Soft cries were heard as she snuggled her head into her arms.

Easely patted August back before whispering to her. " come meet me in the hallway. Let's talk about it " August quickly slid out of her seat and continued covering her face from the falling tears.

" explain to me what happened. " Ms. Easely Told her as she uncovered August's eyes.

Martha Easely is an English teacher at Carter Academy. Easely made sure to grow close bonds with her students; she didn't want to get to just get to know them academically, but more of a mental stand point as well. She felt as if you Understand a child for who they are inside. It shouldn't matter what's outside. It's all about a child's mentality, whether they can understand what she was teaching, and if they didn't, she would strategize a way to help them reach their full potential.

"I was a mother before I became a teacher... now tell me, what's bothering you, August? " Ms. Easely quoted as her motherly instincts awakened.

August took a deep sigh. She trusted Ms. Easely. August knew Ms. Easely wasn't the judgmental type. She was always the type to have an answer for anything.

" I- I am Gay, Ms. Easely," August announced. There was a brief silence, as Ms. Easely sealed her lips, and nodded her head.

" Your sexuality plays a big role in your life, I know," Ms. Easely said, " and you're probably worrying yourself about telling your parents," she added.

" But don't beat yourself up about it, August. You can't control one's perspective." She assured her.

"It's not that easy when you have a preacher as a dad and A strict religious mother," August said.

" August, I know your father... and I feel that he will be very understanding, as far as your mother... She has no say in what your choice of sexuality is, " Easely explained. " I'm going to be completely honest with you, your parents may disagree with you, but they will always love you... You come from a strongly bonded family both ways," she reassured her.

August nodded. " promise me one thing, you won't continue to beat yourself up over things you don't have control over? " Ms. Easely questioned as August proceeded to nod her head.