part 7 . pilot

"Well, look who's back." Says Lucifer. He's sitting on a plastic white chair in a small, clean white hospital room. The room is cold, the air tinged with the smell of lemon scented floor cleaner. The polished concrete floors sparkle in the sunlight shining in through the window. "How long have I been out?" Christina asks softly. She's lying in a hospital bed wrapped in warm, soft white blankets. Lucifer sighs solemnly and says, "Three years."

"What?" Christina gasps, and Lucifer laughs at her. "You are the worst."  She says bitterly. "Thank you." Says Lucifer, looking at her thoughtfully. She looks at him intently, tilting her head. "He was firing at you. Why aren't you... um, dead?" She asks, shaking her head, looking at his clean, freshly shaven face and expensive black suit. "You're having a very hard time with the immortal thing, aren't you?" He says, sighing.

"What happened with JJ?" Christina asks him. "Oh, JJ... JJ got what he deserved." Lucifer says, airily. "Well, I'm pretty sure I'd be dead if you hadn't helped me, so, thank you." Says Christina.

"Sorry, what was that? That last bit. I didn't quite get that." Lucifer says. He leans forward as if to hear her better. "Thank you." She says again, smiling softly. "You're welcome." Says Lucifer, an indescribable expression on his face. "And, besides, you know, you're far too interesting to let die." He says offhandedly.

"You saved my life because I'm interesting?" Christina asks, amused. "Wildly irritating as well, but yes." Says Lucifer. "So what now?" She says. "Well, I mean, I've obviously proven myself to be an invaluable crime fighting tool. You're a pariah in the department. I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship. Don't you?" Says Lucifer, smiling.

She smiles, her face mirroring his, and they sit in silence for a moment. "I got you flowers." Lucifer says suddenly. "Oh, they're beautiful." Christina says softly, admiring the white rose and calla lily bouquet.

"Lucifer!" Ariana shrieks excitedly, running into the room. She gives his waist a tight hug. "Um yes. Hello, child. Um, why don't you save some of this affection for your mother?" Says Lucifer, picking her up and placing her onto Christina's lap. Ariana immediately wraps her arms around Christina, who winces in pain.

"I'm sorry mommy. Are you hurt?" Ariana asks, the joy slipping off her face. "I'm okay." Christina says, smiling warmly at her daughter, tapping her lightly on the nose. Ariana laughs happily as Julian walks into the hospital room. "Hey." He says, ignoring Lucifer and smiling at Christina.

"Right, I'll be going now. Look forward to seeing you soon, Christina." Says Lucifer, "I don't." She says, waving faintly at him. "Bye, now. Glad you're not dead." Says Lucifer, walking out the door.

...........................................................................