Chapter - 19

Do we like long chapters? I split this one (twice) when I realized it was around 15K words, oops. . . Maybe I'll just post 2 today.

****************************************************************

When the pilot announced the engine failure shortly after takeoff Serkan started praying. He prayed that if he didn't make it that Eda and their child would be safe and live long and health lives knowing how much he loved them. He prayed that Eda tell his child about him and let him or her know how much he wanted to be a part of their lives. He prayed for his mother, that she not fall back to her dark ways. He thanked God for giving him Eda for letting him even have those few months of absolute happiness. His last thought as the plane crashed was of Eda and their love for each other.

Hours later a fishing crew came upon the wreckage. There were several bodies strewn across the site wearing floatation devices, some were draped over pieces of the plane. The fishermen hoisted the dead into the boat intending to take them to shore and were surprised when one of them appeared to still have a pulse. The man in the fancy clothes was in bad shape, they didn't think he would make it but they would take him to shore and call for help.

Ambulances met the fishing boat and took the bodies away. The man in the tuxedo was the only one to go to the hospital the others went to the morgue. He had no identification on him other than a set of car keys and a phone. The hospital put the phone and keys in a bag and proceeded to work on the man.

An enterprising orderly by the name of Sergio saw the phone, he had no intention of stealing it but he wanted to do the man a favor. He read that if you set the phone in rice it would dry it out. Sergio thought that he would do this for the man, it was the least he could do. While he was on break he wandered to the cafeteria and got raw rice and a bowl. He set the phone in the bowl with the rice and sealed it in a bag, he put the keys in there for good measure. Sergio put it all in the patients storage, he would check on it every few days to see the progress.

The medical team worked on the unidentified man for hours in surgery repairing the damage done to his body. A stent was placed in his brain stem to relieve the pressure, the internal injuries were repaired and the fractures set. They transferred him to ICU, they had done all that they could.

Eda moved through the days hoping that each hour would bring news of Serkan but was disappointed when there was nothing. She didn't feel like eating but had to keep her strength up for the baby. She had told Aydan and Seyfi about the pregnancy, the three of them were the only ones that knew. Eda wasn't ready to share it with anyone else now.

Aydan, Seyfi and Eda met regularly with government officials to see if there was any news. Aydan hired private investigators to search the flight paths from Rome to Istanbul. They were doing all that they could. Eda had put up a reward for information but so far nothing had brought forth any sightings of Serkan. It was as if he had vanished into thin air. 

As much as she loved her friends and her aunt she was frustrated. They all seemed to have Serkan dead and buried. To her face they said they believed her but she knew that they thought that she was losing her mind and not facing reality. They didn't understand, even Melo didn't understand. Only Aydan anne and Seyfi understood so she spent her time with them or alone with Sirius. The big dog was her comfort, he was missing Serkan too, they waited together.

Eda wasn't idle, no, she had a business to run and she had a score to settle. Before Eda even returned to work she met Ceren. Eda wanted Semiha Yildrim to pay for her part in the accident. Eda, Ferit, and Aydan as Serkan's proxy, filed both criminal and civil suits against her for her role in the misplaced tender. Since she was a shareholder at the time that she took the document she had a responsibility to the holding to make sure that the tender was properly executed, which she did not do. Semiha Yildrim wasn't going to get out of this one, Eda would see to it.