S2; CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE
THE BEGINNING OF A REDEMPTION ARC

CHAPTER ONETHE BEGINNING OF A REDEMPTION ARC

____________

"MABEL, DO YOU know that Lucas has five times as many quarters as I do?!" Dustin's blaring voice exclaimed over Mabel's walkie, the girl cringing as she held the walkie away from her ear in minor discomfort from the sudden loud sound.

"Jeez, calm down, D," Mabel scoffed as she glanced at Mike, who was sitting in Eleven's old cubby, the entire environment set-up as if Eleven was still living there. "Yes, I do know that, I just talked to him. He mowed Old Man Humphrey's lawn. Smart."

"What? Well, what's your haul?"

"I have enough money." Mabel furrowed her eyebrows as she answered defensively.

"Fine, where are you?"

"Mike's," Mabel simply answered. "Thena drove over to see Nancy, so I decided to go with her and bring my bike."

"Can you put Mike on?" Dustin asked, Mabel nodding, despite knowing that he couldn't see her, and she stood up and moved to the other side of the basement to hand Mike her walkie.

Mike furrowed his eyebrows at the gesture as he quickly placed his walkie down on the makeshift bed, almost trying to hide whatever he was doing. "Who's that?"

"Dustin, he wants to talk to you." Mabel shrugged as she just shoved her walkie in his hands without waiting for an answer.

"Mike, do you copy?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I copy." Mike answered simply.

"Lucas and I have six bucks in total, and Mabel won't tell me what she's got, but I'm guessing it's a bit more," Dustin answered, Mabel grinning in amusement at the words. "What's your haul?"

Mike's eyes suddenly widened at the question. "Shit, I- I don't know yet."

Mabel frowned at the boy in disbelief as Dustin voiced her thoughts. "What do you mean you 'don't know yet'?"

"Hold on, call Will!" Mike called, the boy then shoving the walkie back in Mabel's hands and beginning to sprint upstairs, Mabel sending him furrowed brows and throwing her hands to the sides in confusion as she then hurried after him.

When Mabel watched Mike sprint into Nancy's room and ransack her drawers, the girl widened her eyes and decided she didn't want to be apart of it.