S1; CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN
THE VALE OF SHADOWS

"THE VALE OF Shadows is a dimension that is a dark reflection, an echo, of our world

"THE VALE OF Shadows is a dimension that is a dark reflection, an echo, of our world." Dustin recited from Mike's 'Dungeons and Dragons' extensive encyclopaedia. "It is a place of decay and death. A plane out of phase. A place of monsters."

"Monsters?" Mabel fearfully squeaked.

The kids each shared unsettled glances as Dustin quietly concluded. "It is right next to you, and you don't even see it."

"An alternate dimension." Mike stated in realisation.

"But...h-how do we get there?" Lucas bewilderingly stuttered, completely shocked at the whole coarse of events that led them all to their current predicament.

"You cast Shadow Walk." Dustin simply answered, earning a perplexed look from Mabel.

"You cast what?" The girl inquired, utterly dumbfounded.

Lucas shot Dustin a deadpanned glare as he redirected the conversation back to its origins. "In real life, dummy."

"We can't shadow walk, but..." Dustin let his voice trail off as he redirected the group's attention to Eleven with a nod of his head. "Maybe she can."

"Do you know how we get there? To the Upside Down?" Mike inquired, raising his eyebrows at the girl, who gently shook her head from her position limply lying across the couch.

"Oh, my god!" Lucas blew out a frustrated, hopeless breath as he slumped down in his seat in defeat.

Athena finished tying the ribbon of Mabel's black dress up tightly, then redirecting her sympathetic eyes to meet Mabel's nonchalant ones through the mirror.

Suddenly plagued with the thought of her, Nancy, and Jonathan's theory about Will still possibly being alive forming in the back of her mind, Athena just shifted her attention to the ground momentarily, clearing her throat as she chose to push the thought away for Mabel's sake.

What if the theory was wrong and she had instilled false hope within her little sister? The thought of such a young person going through the incredibly difficult, harrowing process of grief—not only once, but twice—made her stomach churn.

Athena's eyebrows then slightly furrowed in concern as she gently spoke up. "Are you sure you're alright to go, May?"

Mabel successfully concealed her self-assurance and knowledge of everything regarding Will's survival with a faux-somber nod. "Yeah. I'm okay."