S1; CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
UNEXPECTED ALLIANCES

ALL EYES WERE on Eleven as the team were silently circled around her at the Byers' kitchen table, each watching her intently as their brains were circling with millions of possibilities for what the potential outcome of this endeavour would be—hop...

ALL EYES WERE on Eleven as the team were silently circled around her at the Byers' kitchen table, each watching her intently as their brains were circling with millions of possibilities for what the potential outcome of this endeavour would be—hope for Will and Barbara's safety, was the primary concern.

The girl was trying to tap into the Upside Down as Mike's walkie-talkie began emitting a crackling, muffled sound from its position on the table in front of her, her eyes tightly squeezed shut and pupils rapidly darting from side to side behind her eyelids.

All of a sudden, the dim lights flickered on and off, coaxing Eleven's eyes to snap open. Her lips quivered regretfully as she uttered out a barely audible whisper. "I'm sorry..."

"Wh- what?" Joyce was practically paralysed with incredulity as her eyes involuntarily widened at the insinuation. "What's wrong? What ha- what happened?"

Eleven released a shuddering breath as her wavering voice came out barely audible. "I can't find them."

Hopelessness washed over each of the group members as they all were now overtaken by despondency, Joyce and Jonathan releasing panicked, despairing breaths as they both abruptly turned around and left the room, Joyce's shaky hand clasping over her mouth.

Eleven just stood up, scraping the chair she was previously sitting on against the wooden floor as she hurried over to the bathroom to prevent the group from seeing her cry, Athena releasing a breath as she supportively squeezed Mabel's shoulder, her younger sister's face painted with premature mournfulness at the thought of Will being lost forever.

"Whenever she uses her powers, she gets weak." Mike started as the group were now intently focused on the kids.

"The more energy she uses, the more tired she gets." Dustin elaborated, Mabel confidently nodding at the words.

"Like, she flipped the van earlier." Lucas' eyes earnestly flickered between the teens and adults.

"It was awesome." Dustin chimed in.

"But she's drained." Mike determinedly continued.

"Like a bad battery." Dustin added.

"Well...h- how do we make her better?" Joyce perplexedly stuttered, the woman trying to make sense of the whole situation, just like the rest of them were.

"We don't, we just have to wait and try again." Mike offered.

"What?" Athena furrowed her eyebrows at the words. They didn't have time to wait.