S1; CHAPTER SIXTEEN

AUTHOR'S NOTE
another long chapter because i'm trying to condense as much of season one as possible so we can move on to season two, where all the drama actually begins 🤭

_______

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
DO YOU COPY?

MABEL AND DUSTIN burst through the bathroom door in Mike's basement, effectively interrupting, what looked to be, an almost-intimate moment between Eleven and Mike

"Guys!" Mabel huffed out, panicked eyes frantically sliding between the two. "Lucas is on the walkie. We think he's in trouble."

Eleven and Mike shared perplexed looks before each of the kids collectively hurried out to the main room, Dustin grabbing the walkie-talkie and holding it up to the group. "Do you remember how he said he was looking for the gate?"

"Yeah..." Mike mused, small frown on his face as he tried to internally map out Dustin's following sentence.

"What if he found it?" Dustin slowly proposed, and as if on cue, the walkie-talkie made a crackling noise, Lucas' muffled voice shouting from it in indistinct intervals.

"Get...b...!"

"What's he saying?" Mike's eyes confusedly danced between Mabel and Dustin as he took ahold of the walkie.

Mabel shrugged and shook her head, Dustin accompanying the action with a clueless statement of his own. "I don't know, he's way out of range."

"...you son of a bitch!"

"Lucas, if you can hear us, slow down, we can't understand you." Mike abruptly stated, each of the kids trying to make sense of his garbled words.

"Yes, I copy! They...about...El- get out of- they know ab- the bad...all of- do...hear me?! The bad men- coming!"

"'Mad hen'," Dustin rephrased, eyebrows furrowing in absurdity as he focused on Eleven, Lucas' crackly words still unclear. "Does that mean anything to you? Like a code name or something?"

"The bad men are coming!"

"Wait, he just said 'bad men'." Mabel widened her eyes as she shifted her eyes between the group, the tension now starting to rise as a consequence.

"Bad men!" Mike urgently reiterated in a panic as he placed down the walkie-talkie, faced Eleven briefly, and hurried up the basement stairs. "Stay here."