Quilt Addiction

By late August, my ankle was finally out of the boot and into a brace, and the start of school was only two weeks away.

We had just received new pattern books and the beginnings of all the fall fabric lines at the store. Everyone was talking about what projects they were going to make for the store displays. The women in Mom's shop amazed me. They worked so hard and made little to no money. They quilted many projects in their spare time to show customers what the quilt patterns looked like with the latest collection of fabrics. It seemed like so much for so little, but Mom explained to me that the only women who worked in her quilt shop were women who loved to quilt.

Her staff loved to talk about quilting with each other and with other people who loved it as much as they did. Marmie & Me gave them a reason to sew. Mom began many of her conversations with customers with just a simple question, "What project are you working on?"

"Oh, I am making a quilt for my new grandbaby!"

"How fun. Is it your first grandchild?"

"Yes."

"What a lucky child to receive such a special gift. What kind of quilt do you have in mind? Do you sew much now?"

Mom had a way of connecting with people. She would say the same thing over and over, but she really meant it. She was really interested in what they were going to make and what their plan or vision was for their project.

She would spend hours walking around the store, gathering fabric and giving customers tips for their quilts. She would suggest lessons if they were new to the craft, and she would celebrate with them when they came in with a finished project and wanted to show it off. It was her one true passion.

"I have to sew something almost every day," she would tell new customers. "I am warning you, it's addictive. You will love this so much that it may take over your life. I hope you have a spare bedroom and your spouse loves to eat take-out." So began today's conversation.

"Mom, don't you think you work too much?"

"Quilting is not work; it's a passion," all her staff chimed in agreement.

"I know it is a passion, but it does take a lot of work. I'm just not so sure that I want to give so much of my time to work."

"Why do your call it work?" Mom asked.

"Work can be fun. Work can be what you love," said Luanne.

"What if you come to work one day and the thing you love the most and brings you the most joy has become a chore you don't like and is life-draining?"

"I would not let that happen," Mom replied. "Cricket, work is about attitude and what you bring to work. I bring passion to my work everyday." It was hard for Mom to see that some people were taking advantage of her passion to steal from her. The latest incident was the worst.

A Mr. Robertson had come in the store about a week before andclaimed he was buying a sewing machine for his mother. He was very informed and asked all the right questions. Mom was trying to be smart. She wanted to do a little research on him to make sure he was legitimate. She told him the machine he was interested in was not in stock and that he would have to put down a deposit to order it. He could pick it up when it was paid in full. She was trying to cover her ass and make sure she didn't get screwed again.

"So what do you do?"

"I'm a pharmacist," he replied.

"Oh, really. How nice. What a great job. At least you don't have to worry about job security since everyone needs their medications... and some probably more than others," she added, nervously.

"Yes. So does this machine have a one step buttonhole and a knee lift?" he asked.

"Oh yes. It is one of our best models and is perfect for the beginner or advanced sewer. What kind of sewing does your mother do?"

"She makes dresses for our girls, her other granddaughters, and for their dolls. She loves to make mini quilts for the dolls to match the girls' quilts."

"Oh, how nice, so creative. How is she on bobbins? I am sure an experienced sewer like her needs extra bobbins."

"I will have to ask her. I am sure I can pick some up when the machine is ready. When did you say it would be in?"

"Let's see, you are interested in the 1230 model. I think that one is on back order, but we'll have one in about two weeks."

Ruthie interrupted their conversation, "Candy, Honey, we have a 1230 in the back store room. I heard which model you were talking about. I sewed one off this week and put it back."

"No, Ruthie," Mom said giving her the look. "I sold that one yesterday."

"I don't think so. I just saw it this morning when I was eating my lunch."

"No, you didn't, it was sold yesterday. Cricket will you go help Ruthie double check in the back and see if there is another one."

I quickly guided her to the back and tried to explain the story.

I could hear Mom pick up her questions where she had left off, "Which pharmacy do you work at? I am thinking of switching the monthly prescriptions for my father. I have not been so happy with the current pharmacy I use."

"Which one do you use right now," he asked.

"I use Atkins Pharmacy."

"That's a good one. I work for one of the chains."

"Good to know."

From across the room, I could see the wheels spinning in Mom's head and knew that we would be stalking the pharmacies later looking at the photos on the wall of the pharmacists who are here to serve you.

"Listen," he said. "I am going to go and see if there is a quilt shop in Austin that has one in stock. I will let you know if I don't find one and if I am still interested in ordering the machine for Mom later this week," and then he was gone.

Was he really there to buy a machine for his mother? Were we being overly suspicious? How could we tell who was going to write a hot check or give a bad credit card and who was really there to buy a machine?

Lots of guys buy machines for their wives, sisters, and mothers. Some women like a guy to go in and negotiate the machine for them. They feel it is a big purchase, and they want some help. Most machines are financed and not just purchased outright. There was a long process in financing a machine. It took time to write the ticket and to find financing for the machine.

I helped write a few tickets over the summer and was amazed at how long they took. Sometimes, when I tried to get out of work early, Mom would say, "Sure Honey, I will let you go just as soon as we write this ticket."