Girl Time with Aunt Julia

The next morning was the start of a busy day. I heard Mom leave about an hour before I got up. I had gone back to sleep and had just opened my eyes when I heard a knock on my bedroom door. It was Aunt Julia.

"How's the boy?"

"Good, I think. I don't know. I think he likes me, and then I think he doesn't like me. How can I tell?"

"You can't. Ever. All you can do is be yourself and hope that you can find someone to love who will always push you to grow."

"Right, but how do I know if he likes me or if I like him more?"

"Honesty."

"Yes, honestly, I want to know."

"No. What I said was honesty. Be your honest self and say what is in your heart. That way you always know that you said what you meant and that what you felt was real for you. You do not get to have his feelings or really ever know them. All you can do is give your heart." She dumped her purse on the bed looking for something.

"Will he break my heart?"

"Yes. They all do, and we all learn, and we all grow. Some of the best people you grow away from are the people you have loved the most. Some people you will love more and some less, and true love will feel great some days and feel absolutely crummy other days. The question is, 'Are you willing to be on the journey with each other, hand in hand, to face every day?' That is real love. Do you like him?"

"I do."

"I know he is cute, but try to get to know him better on your date."

"You know about my date?"

"Why else am I here? Candy has told the whole town, I think."

"Oh, God! Any advice? What should we talk about?"

"Ask him about his life. Try to listen. See if there is something he is not telling you." She said all this as she was packing up her purse.

"Are you looking for something?" I asked.

"I have something to give you, but I can't find it."

"What is it?"

"I want to give you something for courage. Yes! Found it. This is a bracelet your Nana gave me." She handed me a delicate bracelet with a single yellow rose in the middle.

"Perfect. I will wear it tonight for luck."

"No, for courage. Love needs no luck. It needs the courage to see it through. Now, have you figured out what you are going to wear?"

"I am not sure if I should dress up or down."

"Let it emerge, and it will be perfect."

"How do you know?"

"I just do," she said as she jumped off my bed and headed to the door. Before she left, she rested her hand on the door handle and said, "Remember to trust your heart. I gotta get back. Enjoy the date."

The door closed with a thump. A few minutes later there was another knock on the door. What now?

"Honey, it's Nana. I brought you something to wear tonight."

"Mom really did call everyone, huh?"

I looked at the clock. It was nine o'clock. I needed to get a move on and get to work. Nana came in holding out a little yellow and white polka dot dress. "I wore this on my first date with your pa."

In one hand she held the sleeveless, scooped neck dress with white ribbon around the waist, and a pair of shoes in the other.

She smiled. "And I thought these would make it look a little more of the times." They were the cutest little white sandals with a ribbon that tied up around the ankle.

"They'll make that brace look a little more fancy."

"Oh, Nana. I love it! This is wonderful! I am going to try them on right now. I know I'm going to be late, but I don't care." I ran to my bedroom and tried them on. They both fit perfectly. I glanced in the mirror as I was heading out to show Nana when I remembered the bracelet. I walked out of my bedroom and was looking down. When I looked up, I saw Nana sitting on the sofa holding Pa's hand, smiling. When they saw me, tears formed in their eyes.

"She looks so much like you," Pa said.

"She looks like herself, too. The bracelet is a nice touch."

"Thanks," I said. "Aunt Julia suggested I wear it for courage."

Nana and Pa both glanced at each other. "That was nice of her." Nana smiled.

"She did love that bracelet," Pa chuckled.