Night of Firsts

I could not wait for my shift to be over. I was leaving at 3:00 and it was 2:55 P.M. I ran around the store running the vacuum and taking out the trash. I hurried past Mom and kissed her on the cheek. "See you later tonight."

"Have a good time," she yelled after me as I ran out the door.

I raced home to shower and get ready for the date. I was just putting on the finishing touches when I heard a car on the bumpy road. I had raced to the window with every car I heard, hoping it was him, and each time I had been disappointed. That time, the truck pulled up to my house, and I knew it was him. I went to my bedroom and gathered up my lipstick and wallet and put them in my purse.

I heard the knock on the door and opened it. The sun was in just the right spot so that all I saw was the sunlight around his head. I covered my eyes and squinted, "Come on in."

He put his arm around my waist and pulled me close to him and kissed me, first softly and then harder. I was lightheaded and had to hold on to his shoulders to steady myself.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"Yes," I said quietly.

He stepped back and said, "You look amazing."

"Thank you. This was my grandmother's dress."

"You truly look wonderful," he said as he put out his arm.

"Thanks."

I tucked my arm into his, and he guided me to his truck and opened my door.

"All right, I would like to start the night off by letting you know that I have talked to your mother about all the plans for our date, and she approves."

"What? When did you talk to her?"

He put his finger on my lips.

"Uh uh, just know that we are doing something really fun, and you do not have to worry. She said you might worry."

"Worry? Me?"

"Yes. Your mom told me that you might be worried and that it is very important to you to do the . . ."

I interrupted, "Since Mom knows where we are going, can you tell me?"

"I will tell you everything in due time. So for now, all you need to know is that we are driving."

"Driving. Is that all I get?"

"Driving to Austin."

My heart jumped a beat. All the way to Austin. That is at least an hour away and it would take a long time to get there and back and . . .

"I see your wheels turning. Again, please no worries. Just enjoy."

The drive to Austin was fun. We talked about all sorts of things, from boring school to exciting things we both hoped to do when we graduated. He was a nice guy, and I was having a good time. I had barely been on a date before, much less to Austin. It seemed so grown up to go all the way to Austin.

We pulled up to Sabrinos Mexican restaurant. We sat outside, and he pulled out my chair. I sat down trying to remember every manner I had ever been taught. Everything suddenly seemed exaggerated. I was aware of every part of my body, including my hair.

What happened from the car ride when everything between us seemed so easy? Why was it so awkward now?

Our waiter came to the table. "What can I get you tonight?"

I just blinked and looked at him out of the side of my eyes. "So what do you like to eat here, Mr. I thought of everything?"

"The beef fajitas are great, but if you prefer something else, I will go with the flow."