Trying on Trouble

As we drove back to Marble Falls, reality set in. "What am I going to say to her?"

"Babe, don't over-think it."

"What if she is pissed we went to Austin."

"You sure didn't care earlier when we were swimming."

"I know, but I didn't ask to go, and now it is dark. I'm sure she is worried."

We thought it would be best for him to drop me off at Ma and Pa Walker's. I couldn't decide where to go, so I went to the little red house. The door was open, but her car was not there. I went to the kitchen and called Nana's. Mom picked up.

"Cricket, this had better be you, Missy!"

"Hi, Mom. I'm here."

"Where are you?"

"I am at the little red house. See you soon." I hung up the phone. It did not take long to hear the tires screech into the driveway. She was already yelling when she opened the car door.

"Just what do you think you are doing?"

"I am sitting on the front porch waiting for you."

"Don't you sass me! Where have you been?"

"Well, I told you last night that I did not want to work at the shop anymore. I studied with Tyler after school." That part was true. I was feeling very rebellious, but I did want to live.

"What exactly were you thinking worrying me like that? Where were you?"

I cringed, "We went to Barton Springs."

"What?"

"Do you want me to lie to you?"

"Cricket, I just think you and Tyler are going too fast, Honey."

"Wait a minute, I am confused. I am going too fast when there was a racecar in our driveway this morning. Help me understand that one, Mom."

"Cricket, my affairs are none of your business."

"Oh, so this is an affair. Is he married?"

"All right, I have had enough of this! You're grounded this weekend."

"Grounded? Really? Great. You can't make me stay in the house. You can't ground me." I walked in the door and slammed it shut and sat on the sofa with my arms crossed.

She opened the door, came in and sat in the other end of the sofa. She looked at me and paused. Her face seemed to soften. Then taking a deep breath, she smiled.

"All right, I guess you got me. I can't ground you. I just wish I could get you to be still for just a minute and catch your breath. This is all going so fast. You are growing up so fast."

"I know, Mom. But that's life. And I love him."

"Cricket he is your first boyfriend."

"Mom, I don't care if he is my first or my fifth. He is my boyfriend today, and that is all that matters. We love each other."

"I give up. I can't talk or fight anymore. I am exhausted." She got up from the sofa and went into the kitchen. I followed her. She opened the fridge. "Do you want something to eat?"

"Do we even have anything?"

She looked at me with a sideways smile, "We've got eggs. I could make a breakfast dinner?"

"That sounds good. We haven't had that in a long time. Want me to make the cinnamon toast?" I asked.

"That'd be great," she said. "I love your cinnamon toast."