Cowbell Jingle

The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas often becomes a blur. The store was decorated from top to bottom. Even the cowbell on the door got a little wreath for the holiday season. We were all working overtime to make kits, sell machines and cut fabric. I was wrapping presents. All of Mom's frequent customers were given a Santa gift during the holidays, and as you can imagine, Marmie & Me was giving away Christmas mugs in our gift exchange this year.

  "Come on, last staff meeting," Mom called as she entered the backroom. Mom heard the cowbell ring and sent me, "Go see who it is."

  During the holidays, our staff meeting was always second to the customer. If it was a regular customer, I knew to help them as much as I could, and if necessary, get Mom. She was the best seller, and during the holidays she was at her peak.

  I could not see anyone and walked around the corner to the cutting table. Mitchell Goose was standing there. I backed up toward the wall.

"Hello. How can I help you?" Mom said cheerily from the back when she did not hear me talking.

"Hello, Candy." Mitchell said as he put his hand on my shoulder. "I was looking for some fabric today."

"What do you really want?"

"Some fabric. I would like some of your Christmassy shit and some red thread."

She grabbed some fat quarters and a spool of thread and threw them in a bag. "Here, Mitchell. Take these and get out of my store."

"Well, that's very kind of you."

"Now get away from my daughter and get the hell out of my store and don't ever come back!"

He took the bag and left. Mom came to my side.

"Are you okay?

"Yes. I think he just wanted to scare us."