Tacos, Tacos, No Burritos

A few minutes later, we were locking up the shop to go next door to Local Taco.

"Cricket, will you set the alarm for me?"

I dashed to the back as fast I could, set the alarm and then raced back to the front. I did not want to miss a moment of conversation.

Mom looked at me, "I think you should go to home while we sort out this mess."

"Are you kidding me?" I asked shocked. "I'm not missing out on this one! I want to be there when we finally come up with a plan to catch him. Besides, I already called Tyler to come meet us."

Defeated she replied, "Fine."

"I'll wait out here for Tyler and be in a minute."

She gave me a kiss, "I love you kiddo. I'll wait with you."

After five minutes, Tyler pulled up in his truck. He parked next to Mom's car, and I walked up to his door.

"Hey, Baby," he greeted as he got out of the car. He hugged me tightly. "Are you okay?" He kissed me on the forehead.

"Yes. Let's get inside. I don't want to miss too much."

I held Tyler's hand as we walked inside. The entire back half of the restaurant was full. There were people from Indigo Ink, Local Taco and Marmie & Me. I couldn't help but think about all the times the ladies of Marmie & Me had talked about the hooligans of Indigo Ink and now they were all huddled together around table with cups of coffee in their hands. Mom slid into the booth next to Bud who started the conversation, "Big Chuck, tell Candy what we know."

"Well, One-Eyed Steve was in middle of . . . actually, he should tell you."

"All right, Chuck," said Steve. "Well, this fella was talking to his friend about their latest prank. Then I heard them mention something about a quilt show robbery. He was bragging about how they had the perfect plan to lift purses from the ladies at the quilt show. Security stopped them as they were leaving with a bunch of purses hidden in their backpacks, and had barely gotten away."

"Ohh," said Ruthie. "I wish I'd hidden a snake in my purse!"

"But I heard one of them was caught on film," Mom interrupted.

"Yes, but they were worried that security may have caught two of them on film. It turns out there were three people hired for the job. Once they discovered they might be busted, they spilt as fast as they could."

"Did he say who was behind it all? Did they tell you where they were staying, or where they were going?"

"I didn't ask all that. Remember, I was in the middle of inking the man and had to ask questions and act like I didn't give a shit either."

"All right. What else, Steve?" Mom asked.

"Okay. The way they were talking about this Goose character, he's definitely the ring leader and really wants to target you the most."

"Why?"

"Candy, I don't know. I am just telling you what I heard."

The front door opened, and Dad walked in. "Candy, I am so sorry."

Mom held Bud's hand tighter. She was biting her lip and trying not to say anything.

"Morgan, this isn't a good time. What are you even doing here?"

"I heard about what is going on."

"From who?"

He stumbled over his words, "I'll . . . Can I . . . you'll understand later. Let me just say I know his plan and where to find him."