Disengage Autopilot

The rest of the day was spent trying to figure out all of my classes. Some were boring and some weren't because Tyler was in them. I passed Tyler in the hall twice. Sadly, we did not share lunch period. He signed up for yearbook and worked during lunch. I did not sign up for yearbook because I didn't want all the kids in school trying to be my best friend to get their pictures in the yearbook.

At the end of the day, Jimmy Sue and I walked to the car.

Jimmy Sue asked, "How was your first day?"

"Fine. Yours?"

"I have Mr. Baker for English, and he is a real bore."

We stopped for a snow cone and talked about our summer the whole way home until I dropped her off.

Jimmy Sue gave me a big hug, "It's good to hang out with you again, stranger."

"It's good to see you, too," I said. And I meant it.

Arriving at the little red house, I saw Tyler's car parked right in front. My heart leapt. I looked in the rear view mirror and checked my hair. With swimming so early in the morning, it was a mess.

He wasn't on the front porch and the door was locked. I walked around back and found him in the hammock.

"I thought you would beat me here," he said.

"I know. I wanted to spend some time Jimmy Sue. I've really missed her. Do you really want to drive me to school?"

"Yep."

"I'm not on your way."

"Yes, you are."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are. You are on your way to my heart, and I'd like to start and end my day being with you."

"Very funny." I climbed in beside him. "I'll let you drive me tomorrow morning," I snuggled in beside him. I heard him breathe in deeply.

"I missed you today," he said.

"We saw each other about seven times."

"Still not enough."

"Hey, just so you know, you can always get in our house. Mom and I keep a spare key in the golf shoe by the back door."

"I'll remember that."

I curled into the curve of his arm and closed my eyes. "I am beat. That swimming took it out of me."

"Looking at you in that suit took it out of me. That suit was hot."

I opened my eyes, "You have got to be joking!"

He leaned down and kissed me full on the mouth and electricity went throughout my body. Then my spine stiffened as I heard the sound of the one-of-a-kind horn blaring.

What the hell was he doing there? I was in a full panic. I jumped out of the hammock and ran.

Tyler yelled after me, "Cricket, where are you going?"

I couldn't answer. I took off as fast as I could. Scurrying behind Ma and Pa Walker's house and straight across the wide yard to my grandparent's. Nana was out front.

Tyler was right behind me. I screamed, "He's here. He's at the little red house." Nana looked up and then headed to the garage.

"Cricket, get in the house and tell Pa to get his ass out here! Tyler, go down to the boathouse and get Pa's tackle box. It's the red one with a lock."

I ran in the house. "Pa! Pa! He is here! Nana said to get outside!"

Pa got up from his chair and went straight for the garage door. "Go in my room and don't come out."